Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Third Brakelight on Airstream

Has anyone put a third brakelight on there Airstream.I sometimes wonder if they are noticable at night that much.They are LED light but I have only 2 of them.Has anyone tried doing something like this?I am going to look around and see if I can find something.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
do you mean up above the back window... It might be more visible but you can see the other just fine right? Why the extra work....????

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you think it's needed - this ought to get you noticed:

LED Tailgate Light Bar Brake Light* by Toucan
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
This something that I've also thought about. Would probably be difficult to wire in a high mounted brake light but how about a unit similar to what they're making to add turn signals to existing mirrors which uses a small radio transmitter to control the remote light? If you haven't seen these here is a link to one:

Turnsmart Turn Signal Mirror, Signal Mirror Kits, Side Mirror Signal Lights

Not sure if something like this is made in the way of a high mounted brake light.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I had thought about this too and am giving serious thought to wiring in one on the inside that would show out the rear window. I would like to set it up where I could unplug it while camping and open houses but plug it back in for traveling. The existing brake light wires would be accessed through the inner skin behind the bath cabinet since its flush with the rear wall under the window. I've got some engineering to do to make it work but I think it could be done.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Do all of you not think your brake lights of the trailer are bright enough? have you been rear ended???

I'm not sure what the point of one is????

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Do all of you not think your brake lights of the trailer are bright enough? have you been rear ended???..
I'm not sure what the point of one is????
not only are the older lights NOT bright enough, but bulbs burn out quickly and the light up is SLOW...

the newer LEDs a/s tail lights are WILDLY bright....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...2&postcount=22

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...hts-23544.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ion-17847.html

and yes REARENDING does happen....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ler-17704.html

devo....

i've got the 'light bar' ganglin linked, on the truck...

it really is bright, easy to attach and wire and would work nicely on the 'stream tail too!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
purman - What don't you understand about safety? If there is no need for one on a trailer why are they used on cars/trucks? Do you need to be rear ended before you try and take steps to prevent it? I think a high mounted brake light is a great idea and I don't even drive at night!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have seen them.They are bright. Apperently the Motor vehicle association and Insurance institute agrees, they are standard on all cars now.

I think they look good on the back of an Airstream. Right below the rear bathroom window, but above the License plate.

I have seen an Airstream Rear ended, The picture was posted on these forums.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Light

The Airstreams are great during the day and on a clear night maybe.But what about those hard rainy days or those really foggy times.I always have trouble and I hate it when I have to look harder.I do slow down on the roads also but what about the next man or woman who does not.

Putting one on the inside rear window would be a good spot.I even thought about maybe one of those hitch type brake lights also.You could mount it to the bottom of the bumper.Or maybe fix it to sit on top of the tag light right at there eye level.

My vehicle is even setup to put in a rear foglight for those foggy days.From what I know these are standard overseas.Just a clear white light on one side of the vehicle.You will see that even Airstream overseas does the little extras.If I remember correctly.Here is an example from Airstream Europe.You can even see the clear fog light and extra safety light.Even though we dont get them why not make it better for yourself.
Product Family | Airstream Europe : Airstream, overview of the most recognizable caravan in the world

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4322a6d7e0cf3c87.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	67318  

Old 09-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
3 Light

Here is site that I thought was really intresting.Everything is either billet or Aluminum.Pretty cool stuff but just a little pricey.
LED Taillights LED Lights led taillights led lights Led 3rd Brake Light Custom Cars Classic Hotrods Streetrods-Watsons StreetWorks

Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
...My vehicle is even setup to put in a rear foglight for those foggy days.From what I know these are standard overseas.Just a clear white light on one side of the vehicle...
but clear/white REAR projecting lights used while driving, are ILLEGAL in the usa, i think.

red fog/rain lights are ok, i've got 2 on a euro station wagon, but some folks are annoyed by them.

so the euro 'stream photo, the right/red is ok here, but the white/left is NOT.

those are nice led/brake lights u linked, buy one and post pix of the install.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
purman - What don't you understand about safety? If there is no need for one on a trailer why are they used on cars/trucks? Do you need to be rear ended before you try and take steps to prevent it? I think a high mounted brake light is a great idea and I don't even drive at night!

I do understand about safety!!! IF there is no need then Why arn't they putting them on trailers?????......Only cars and truck ???.... None on semi trailers???

I asked a question, didn't make a statement......Don't need to get snippy.

I'm not saying don't do it.. And I would agree about putting LED light on instead of the old ones.. I'm gonna do that... You already have 3-4 lights across the top of the trailer. plus your break and running lights... If someone rear ends you It's not because they don't see you.. It's because they are following to close....

I just wonder how much of a difference it will really make... It will only light up when the brakes come on, so if it is foggy there gonna hit you regardless...

Wonder if you could rig your top red running lights into your break lights, then you wouldn't have to add lights...

Just a thought...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The original purpose of the light was so that the cars two or three back could see your brake light through the windows of the car behind you. I think the lights on your airstream are high enough that you don't need one.

But it's your airstream. If it looks cool do it!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
As someone that has been rear-ended more time than he cares to count, I think a 3rd brake light is a good idea. Of course, I also think there is no hope for someone that hits something as big as a house sitting in front of them, but that's another story.
I was looking through the products on the website that Devoman provided the link to, and found this, I think it would be an excellent addition to the 3rd brake light:

Brake Light Pulsator

Get their attention fast when your brake lights pulsate at 300 pulses per minute (5 per second!). Simple two wire connection - cut the feed wire to the light(s) and install the STOP-ALERTTM with the terminals provided. Works for third brake lights or main brake lights or both. Solid state, uses no additional power. Rated at 60 watts continuous (5 amps incandescent), great for two #1157 bulbs or Ultra Brights plus a 3rd brake light (for Halogen taillights, one per light is needed).
Only 1-3/4" x 7/8" x 1-1/8.
#AM-01 (each)
$30.00
Old 09-14-2008, 05:55 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Wonder if you could rig your top red running lights into your break lights, then you wouldn't have to add lights...

Just a thought...
I have seen the center clearance light rigged this way on local delivery trucks (like bread vans). I don't know how "legal" it is, but I thought it was a good idea, especially with a regular clearance light on either side of it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
but clear/white REAR projecting lights used while driving, are ILLEGAL in the usa, i think.

red fog/rain lights are ok, i've got 2 on a euro station wagon, but some folks are annoyed by them.

so the euro 'stream photo, the right/red is ok here, but the white/left is NOT.

those are nice led/brake lights u linked, buy one and post pix of the install.

cheers
2air'
The white light pictured is a reverse light. The red one is a rear fog. European cars are a hobby of mine. A rear fog light is simply a red light that is roughly the same intensity as a brake light, usually only on one side, but sometimes both. White lights in the rear are just as illegal in Europe as they are here.
Example of a VW Jetta with rear fog turned on:
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We have a set of these on are 89' Jaguar.. They sit in the rear bumper.. You can turn them on and off from the dash...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #19
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I like the idea of wiring in the top three marker lights if that could be done easily. For those of you who have removed the inner skins, where are the wires for those top marker lights located? Although, now that I think about it, I don't have any upper marker lights. Back to the idea of setting up a third brake light in the rear window.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
The white light pictured is a reverse light. The red one is a rear fog. European cars are a hobby of mine. A rear fog light is simply a red light that is roughly the same intensity as a brake light, usually only on one side, but sometimes both. White lights in the rear are just as illegal in Europe as they are here.
Example of a VW Jetta with rear fog turned on:
Sorry about that .I had it backwards.It has been a while since I have fooled with my Touareg.