Old 07-27-2003, 08:45 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Thin Lite Install

After replacing the front vent over the fold out table, in the front of the coach, with a Fantastic Fan, I really missed the light fixture that was built into the old vent. The other day, I picked up a Thin Lite fixture and installed it. Wow, can't believe the amount of light it puts out. Uses less than a single bulb too, as you all know the original had SIX bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thinlit2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2425  

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Thumbs up

pick

nice install, where did you get the fixture?

john

Old 07-27-2003, 09:25 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

That is a nice install.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
That light is nice. Did you just use the wire from the old light?

Seeing how we're talking about vents and lights, what are people doing about broken plastic on thier vents? If I had the replacement material it looks easy to pop a new one in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brokenvent.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2428  
Old 07-27-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Thin Lite Install

Pick:

Nice job on the FF & Thin-lite install. This is exactly what I want to do - I have the parts (FF & Thin Lite) but was looking for the step-step that had been in the photo section of the Forum. Did you take pics of the FF install/Thin Lite install that would be available? Thanks,

Montanaandy
Old 07-27-2003, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

"what are people doing about broken plastic on thier vents?"

That is an opaque pexiglass. I replaced mine with clear Lexan. The Lexan has more impact resistance but clear was all they had at the home center when I needed it.

It is held on with rivets (drill out with 1/8th" bit) and Vulkem. Just cut the new panel to size with a jigsaw. If you want to work on it off the trailer, the cover comes off by removing four screws on the slides. You have to remove the screen first.

Or put in a Fantastic Vent fan.

By the way, a temporary fix is to take a piece of cardboard the right size, wrap it several times with aluminum foil, then cover it with aluminum tape (you DO carry aluminum tape with you, right?). Mine lasted for months that way without a drip.

Mark
Old 07-27-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
John, I got the fixture at Wests Marine. They have a store in our area. I think you can order off of their website too. According to the box it draws 1.3 amps Less than a single bulb. Fixture was $54.95. They have a nice square fixture that would work in that area between the fan and the antenna crank.

Nothing to the install, just drill 4 mounting holes and a 9/64 hole to feed the wires through. Used old wiring from original fixture, for both fan and lights. Use some rubber grommets for the mounting screws, between fixture and ceiling, as it is an arched ceiling, and you will distort it if you tighten the screws all the way down.

For my FF install I used Dabler's photos over at Airstreamphotos.com.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

A better fluorescent ---

Pick,

I was after the same effect as you and was about to order the ThinLite as that is what you see in most stores.

I did a web search and found what some electrical experts say has better ballast electronics which make the bulbs last longer.

The best price according to SunRay's rep is at Camper's Choice:
Click Here for the light

(This is my first try for a link, so hope the above works)

Steve
Old 07-27-2003, 12:45 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Well I see that it works! I'll use that more often...

BTW, They also have a CLEAR lens that is not shown for the same price. I like it better and the Co Rep says that there is no other difference in the two lights.

I think the reason you don't see more of the SunRay products in catalogs is because of their margin. Rep says 95% is sold directly to the Manufacturer as OEM.

Steve