Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

North Central , Ohio
Taillight access question

How can I get to the back side of the taillights? I have a '73. I need to test/repair the wiring and can't figure out how to get the light assembly out. Does each of the round sections come out? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
loving-life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Hello,
My tail lights on my 71 are fastened from the inside of the exterior skin. How to remove without removing a section of interior panel I dont know. One of mine had been removed for some reason because it now is fastened from the outside. I thought I did notice when I had the rear bath removed that the one light houseing was fastened from behind.

Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
bertro is right. They are fastened from inside the shell.
Yes, the individual lights come out of the housing.
I found that when I removed the tail light lenses and the buckets that held the light fixtures I was able to reach inside the housing to retrieve the bullet connectors inside.
Most tail light problems aren't the wires themselves. Bad grounds, weak socket springs and corroded connectors are the main culprits.
That being said I still had a grounding issue with one housing. After cleaning the housing behind the the buckets I added new ground wires to the housings and ran them through to the inside behind the bath cabinets. Then down to the C channel on the floor.

Good Luck,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote