Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Tailights only partially work

Been struggling with this all day, and I can't seem to figure it out. Here's the problem...

brakes lights and back up lights do not work

I've check various wires and bulbs behind the cans, and everything appears to be wired as referenced in wiring diagrams. I checked the ground connections behind the lights and the are all connected. what should i check next?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
back-up lights fixed. brake lights still out.turn signal works, so it's not a bulb issue.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I used a 7-way tester, a small battery charger, a jumper light, and a small multi meter to test and configure the trailer lights at the 7-way.

I had running light problems and no back up lights. I replaced all the clearance lights with LED sealed lights. I replaced all the bulbs in the back lights, polished all the sockets, and reattached a few grounds. While I was at it I replaced all the light lenses.

The 7-way grounds I twisted together, fluxed them and soldered them together with my map gas torch. I tested everything at the 7-way plug with the cord unattached. I tested the cord on the bench. I tested the tow vehicle with the 7-way tester.

When I put it together, I had two wires crossed in the cord end. I reversed those two and everything worked. I have three other trailers and I wanted everything to work on a standard 7-way plug. Any standard 7-way tow vehicle will be ready to go with any of my trailers.

My approach was not to chase problems. I replaced, and repaired everything and it all worked when I was done.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Good job! I'm about to check the 7-way. It was re-wired twice by the local Airstream shop. I'm also wondering if my TV may not be wired properly. I guess I'll look at that, too.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'd be lost without my tester.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Chances are your trailer is not wired to todays standards. You should first check the plug on your TV to see which pins are for what. There may be a drawing in the owners manual. if not, use your meter and identify each pin and it's function. Your trailer plug may need to be reconfigured. Here is a pin out of my '74, your trailer may be wired like my Argosy. If it is this should work. I don't have backup lights, but they should be wired to the center pin.

One question; Does your trailer or TV have turn signals that are separate from the brake lights?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 PinTrailer Plug Wiring.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	135620  
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Make sure you have a good ground.

This has caused me and others problems.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Chances are your trailer is not wired to todays standards. You should first check the plug on your TV to see which pins are for what. There may be a drawing in the owners manual. if not, use your meter and identify each pin and it's function. Your trailer plug may need to be reconfigured. Here is a pin out of my '74, your trailer may be wired like my Argosy. If it is this should work. I don't have backup lights, but they should be wired to the center pin.

One question; Does your trailer or TV have turn signals that are separate from the brake lights?

I had the 7-pin re-wired on the trailer. Before, my TV didn't even recognize the brakes. Now it does and they operate fine. It's just the lights. And yes, my TV has separate turn signals (amber).
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73

I had the 7-pin re-wired on the trailer. Before, my TV didn't even recognize the brakes. Now it does and they operate fine. It's just the lights. And yes, my TV has separate turn signals (amber).
You will need to get an adaptor that combines your turn signal and brake light circuits. They are available at most auto parts stores.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
You will need to get an adaptor that combines your turn signal and brake light circuits. They are available at most auto parts stores.

Do you know what this adapter is called? Can't find it at the local auto parts store.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
What happened when you used the 7-way tester?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
What happened when you used the 7-way tester?
I don't have one. And I'm not real sure I know how to use it to test this.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
The trailer turn signal bulb elements are exactly the same circuit for the brake light. They are one in the same.

The issue is with your tow vehicle since it has separate turn signals from the brake lights.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
Just go to an auto parts or trailer store and buy the tester to match your tow vehicle plug. Mine is a 7-way. Plug the tester into the socket where the trailer cord plugs in and run all the electricals . . . brakes, lights, signals, etc.

The tester has a light for each wire in the 7-way. If it's working, the test light bulb lights up.

If the tow vehicle 7-way is wired wrong, nothing's going to go good with the light project:-)
Old 07-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The trailer turn signal bulb elements are exactly the same circuit for the brake light. They are one in the same.
My trailer has a separate lead wire for brake lights, left turn, and right turn lights.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Note: Andy said "the trailer turn signal bulbs"

I'll say it again. Since your TV has turn signals that are separate from the brake light circuit and your trailer uses the brake light filaments in the bulbs for the turn signals. You will not be successful in getting the turn signals and brake lights to work on the trailer with your TV until you get an adapter that you install on the TV and wire it to the 7 pin plug on the TV.
These adapters are available at most auto part stores and they are specifically designed to make your TV look like one that uses the same bulb for turn signals and brake lights.
In a standard brake/turn signal system there are 2 wires; one for left turn and one for right turn. When you hit the brakes both left and right bulbs light up unless you have a turn signal on.
In a system with separate turn signal lights there are 3 wires involved; one for left turn; one for right and one for both brake lights.
Since your trailer has only 2 wires in the brake/turn signal system (left turn = red wire; right turn = brown wire) there is no place for you to connect the 3rd wire. Thus the need for the adapter.
If you were to turn on the emergency flasher in your TV you will see that the turn signals flash and not the brake lights. It is wired that way so that you have flashing lights on both the front and rear of the vehicle.
Just tell the person at the auto parts store that you have a vehicle with separate brake lights and turn signals and you want the little black box that is used for trailers that use the same bulb for signal and brake lights.
In an earlier post I put up a photo of how the 7 pin plug is wired. Note there is not a pin for brake lights only. Just left and right turn because they are the brake lights as well.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
After a little more discovery, I think I've found the issue. My TV has a tow computer module that is supposed to convert the 3-wire light system to the 2-wire light system automatically -- without the need for this extra adapter. Supposedly there is a known software glitch in these that the dealer can reprogram. I'm hoping that's it. If not, then I will go pick up this convertor/adapter. Stay tuned! And thanks for all the help.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
www.wiringproducts.com

3-wire to 2-wire Tail Light Converter

$17.50

TLC-74991
Availability: In stock

!

3-wire to 2-wire Tail Light Converter

For cars and trucks with separate bulbs for stop (red) and turn (amber or red) to operate trailer lamps that have one bulb for both stop and turn. Without this converter, only turn signals will operate on the trailer. For 12 volt DC electrical systems only. Maximum load capacity is 3 amps. Self-adhesive backing provided.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Brake lights are officially working. My TV's computer that controls the lighting functions was incorrectly coded. A software update did the trick. Thanks for all the advice and assistance. Now I am more knowledgeable about this stuff for future TVs I hook up to the Airstream.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Old Bridge , New Jersey
Tail lights partially working.

Hello,

This is the problem, my left turn signal, brake, and marker lights work, my right maker, turn signal and running lights work, but no brake light. I checked the brown wire from the trailer plug to the rear bulb housing post, it has continuity ????, and shows it's the correct pin on the TV.

Do I need the adaptor to combine the turn signal and the brake lights ?, this is the only reason I can come up with that it dose not work.

Thanks
njloco is offline   Reply With Quote