Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Tail Light Removal

One of my LED tail lights has partially failed. I'm hoping that to replace it all I need to do is remove the bezel and that I don't need to unscrew the whole housing and break the seal between it and the body. I tried prying gently on it but chickened out when it didn't pop right off. Does anyone know any trick for removing the bezel?

Thanks,
Ken

Old 08-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
nanoose bay , British Columbia
Hi, did you get an answer to this yet ? I have same question as was thinking about mounting a rear view camera in this area and could access power and run wires in but tried to get access and also too scared to put to much pressure on the light trim without breaking it ? Let me know if you found anything out yet . Thanks, Murray

Old 08-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
No answer yet. Ordered the new light, but it's not here yet so haven't played around with it any more yet either.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Got the new tail light last week and put it on over the weekend. Didn't realize it but the replacement kit also came with a new bezel and gasket. With the parts in hand it was obvious how to remove the old. The plastic bezel around the light is held on by four tabs (see photo), just get something under it and pry it off. I found a paint can key worked well. Once the bezel is off it's just 4 screws holding the light on and the 3 wires have plugs on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	245696   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	245697  

Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Be very very careful prying that off! I put a small ding in the aluminium bezel using a screwdriver to replace mine. Use a rag to protect it.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenen42 View Post
Got the new tail light last week and put it on over the weekend. Didn't realize it but the replacement kit also came with a new bezel and gasket. With the parts in hand it was obvious how to remove the old. The plastic bezel around the light is held on by four tabs (see photo), just get something under it and pry it off. I found a paint can key worked well. Once the bezel is off it's just 4 screws holding the light on and the 3 wires have plugs on them.
The attached image isn't showing up, can you please repost?

Also, where did you order the tail light from? Do you have the link to the web site?

Thanks

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
The attached image isn't showing up, can you please repost?

Also, where did you order the tail light from? Do you have the link to the web site?

Thanks
Rich,

Are they 6" 10 LED Optronic lights?
They look like the same lights I replaced on our boat trailer. They come in clear lens with red LED's or red lens with red LED's.

The bezels available chrome or black

Superbright has all color options with the chrome bezel

Bob
Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Rich,

Are they 6" 10 LED Optronic lights?
They look like the same lights I replaced on our boat trailer. They come in clear lens with red LED's or red lens with red LED's.

Bob
No, they're the ones Kenen42 posted about, for the AS replacement LEDs in the taillight lens. He had uploaded an image of the lens with the tabs on it but with the forum's picture problems, it's disappeared. Someone in another thread is asking about the removal of the entire assembly, which isn't necessary. You just need to carefully pop out the retainer ring to take out the light. The kit comes with a replacement retainer ring too.

Our AS has some LEDs out, thought I'd replace both sides. I might do the marker lights too. The lenses have moisture in them and I had to replace a side marker light recently. it was totally rusted inside but I cleaned it up and it's working for now.

That is a cool lens you have on your boat trailer. I just replaced both of mine (boat) with red LEDs but I'll make a note of your link.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 08-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

So the LED's are replaceable in the AS light? All the ones I've seen have been a sealed unit. Looking at the light in post 1 they sure looks the same.

I had the red lens on the boat, changed to the clear when I cracked one. I've got 4 spares after Boatmate sent the rong ones....one new clear, one new red, and two used reds. You can never have too many extras.

Bob
Old 08-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
In post #4 he details how you just pop out the retainer ring, there are 4 tabs that hold it in. The LED is held by a few screws and the LED has a plug on the end. There used to be an uploaded image so you could see the tabs he's talking about, but now they're gone, it just shows the box where they used to be.

I was looking for something else and came across the entire unit at an AS parts site; $495. Woof! I'd really like to just replace the LEDs, I'll live with the filiform corrosion for now.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 08-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Tried uploading the photos again but it keeps telling me the upload failed.

The tabs are two on the top straight part and two on the bottom, maybe an inch from where the curve starts. I found it easiest to get a paint can key under the bezel on the curved part and then work it around until you get to the first tab and then just pull to pop it off. Nice thing about a paint can key is that it hooks on so you don't have to pry against the aluminum. After the first it's easy. A piece of electrical tape on the tool you're using helps to keep from scratching the aluminum.

I ordered it through my local Airstream dealer. I think they got it from Airstream. The invoice lists it as "part #512425 - Kit-Taillight Oval Red". It was $29.18 plus another $19.95 in "shipping & handling".
Old 08-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Thanks for trying, Kenen, and for the additional explanation.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 06-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #13

Huntington , West Virginia
Also had problems with tail light. Call airstream and received part but where are the 3 plugs on the old taillight are they inside the wall and if so can they be pulled out to plug into the new one.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
kpayne

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Shreveport , Louisiana
I have a 2015 FC 28 RB. Tail lights are out on one side. I removed the bezel and unscrewed the defective light. Doesn't look to me like there is any plug in and I'm leery of pulling the wires out of the wall. May just order a new light and rewire it. Did you ever find any plug in as were mentioned here in prior posts? Thanks, Keith