Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Tail light power upgrade

This thread is more for folks with older tow vehicles.
When getting ready for my last trip I noticed that everytime I plugged the umbillical cord into my old pickup the tail lights would dim on the truck. When the trailer was not connected the truck lights would function perfectly and be very brights
I checked the voltage at the connector and only found 7 to 10 volts. Ugh!
I purchased a little device made by Tow Ready Modulator HD part number 118190.
This device literally made night and day difference in the intensity of the tail lights. I would highly recommend this if your having any voltage drop at the connector.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This is a system of relays that substitute direct battery voltage for the signal coming from you truck lights.

The fact that you needed it indicates there is something wrong in the truck. For example GM uses wiring that is grossly undersized, commonly resulting in fires. This wiring will also results in low voltage to the trailer. I had to make a system like this because my 34 kept melting the wiring at the light switch in my truck. I would suggest you look for the reason that you had to install this rather than just accept the improvement.

Possible reasons, undersized wires, large number of lights on the trailer, poor grounds. If it is just undersized wiring this is a good idea.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote