Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
something weird when I hook up to the car?

has anyone had this before or know what it might be:?

I just wired my car for the 7pin connection and tested it. with the headlights off, everything seems fine. brakes, blinkers, etc work fine. but when I turn the car's headlights on and go through the same checks, here's what I get...

with no blinkers or brakes on it appears fine, but as soon as I turn on the blinker (either one), the side marker lights blink opposite of the cars turn signal, and the brake lights on the trailer both blink? the correct one (the side that corresponds to the TVehicle's blinker) actually blinks more dim than the one that shouldn't be blinking? hope you can follow what I'm saying.

please let me know what I can check...

thanks.
doug.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
check all your grounds first. make sure you are geting ground through your connector.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe (and I may be wrong, memory is faulty) that the running light circuit is cross connected with the brake lights.

The old models had separate brake light and turn signal elements. They don't work well with modern tow vehicles where the turn signal and brake light are common.

So somewhere in the past, someone had to do a "work-around" that combined the two elements of the turn/brake signal, and got them mixed up with the running light circuit, which usually runs to a separate lamp in the tail light assembly.

My recommendation: start over, ignore any wire colors, use a voltmeter to identify each wire. Make a diagram. Don't do trial and error.

Good luck. I've been there and you have my sympathy.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Trailer lighting

I have herd of this before. It is most likely a ground problem. Its like my grandpa use to say ground **** dont work. Pardon my french and good luck
1963tradewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Definitely a ground problem! electricity is like water and will take the path of least resistance. As a result current feeds back through other connectors and causes blinking on side and break lights
Marc
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
it does kind of makes sense that the brake/tail/marker lights would all be connected.... the trailer has after market lights on it now that likely do have all of those elements combined.

that would explain why everything works fine until I add the headlights...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er
has anyone had this before or know what it might be:?

I just wired my car for the 7pin connection and tested it. with the headlights off, everything seems fine. brakes, blinkers, etc work fine. but when I turn the car's headlights on and go through the same checks, here's what I get...

with no blinkers or brakes on it appears fine, but as soon as I turn on the blinker (either one), the side marker lights blink opposite of the cars turn signal, and the brake lights on the trailer both blink? the correct one (the side that corresponds to the TVehicle's blinker) actually blinks more dim than the one that shouldn't be blinking? hope you can follow what I'm saying.

please let me know what I can check...

thanks.
doug.
Doug.

Not often, but it does happen.

Take out the two tail, brake light bulbs.

If that fixes the problem, then the answer is one of the bulbs has an internal short, which connects the clearance light/tail light and brake light circuits together.

Or, you could have a single strand of wire connecting those two circuits together, that could be in either end of the 12 volt cable, or, on the car connector.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 26' Overlander
birmingham , Alabama
I guess by pulling those bulbs, I would test to see if the side marker lights did not blink with the cars blinkers?

I'll pull the after market lights tonight and see what's going on in there.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I also saw something like this happen once in a car when the tail lights had the wrong type of bulb in the light assembly.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote