Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Side running lights

I have noticed on newer AS models, side running lights. As my 74 argosy is gutted at the moment, I was thinking about adding them.
My question: Is there any reason "to" or "not to" have them work as turn signal?
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You would need to keep them independent from the combination brake/turn signal wires that come from the TV on a standard 7 pin umbilical. You do not want them coming on when the brakes are activated, only for turn signals. One way to wire them would be using a 9 pin connector, but that will only work if you can isolate separate turn single wiring in the TV that are not combination turn signal/brake light. How easy that will be will depend on the type of TV you have.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You can do this if you wire 2 relays with the NC contacts in series with the the wire feeding the lights from the parking lights. Now wire each relay coil with one side to ground and the other side to the brake light for that side of the trailer.

Now whenever the turn signal is on the side marker lights on the side you are turning to will blink.

However when ever you hit the brakes Both side marker lights will go off and remain off as long as the brakes are on. On a longer trailer this might prove to be an advantage giving notice to those who ride your side.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I believe they would work if they were a double filament like the taillights and wired in parallel to them. So they would act like the taillights. On when running, flash when turning, and bright when braking.
My main concern is turning or switching lanes. As 'HowieE' stated it "giving notice to those who ride your side".
What I did not know is if there was any legal DMV rules. But come to think of it I remember seeing side mounted flashing arrows on the side of 18 wheelers.
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The side mounted turn signal arrows on 18 wheelers only flash with turn signals. They are not on as tail or marker lights.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote