Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Side marker lights

During the polishing process I was being very careful around the right rear marker light I had unscrewed and smartly taped out of harms way. Well that was my intent anyway, then while polishing I heard the bang of something bouncing off the wall on the far end of my garage and noticed I no longer had marker light (cr@p) so upon inspection the wire sheared off at the hole and I couldn't fish it out, it has bare copper exposed and as you might guess shorts out the clearance/marker lights. (note to self, hand polish around lights!)

So my question is, has anyone had the interior skins off and noticed where this wiring goes so maybe I can fish it out from a different way. This is on a 81, 27' but I'm guessing most are wired the same or at least similar. Luckily it doesn't effect the running lights so they must not go that way.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifihadtime View Post
During the polishing process I was being very careful around the right rear marker light I had unscrewed and smartly taped out of harms way. Well that was my intent anyway, then while polishing I heard the bang of something bouncing off the wall on the far end of my garage and noticed I no longer had marker light (cr@p) so upon inspection the wire sheared off at the hole and I couldn't fish it out, it has bare copper exposed and as you might guess shorts out the clearance/marker lights. (note to self, hand polish around lights!)

So my question is, has anyone had the interior skins off and noticed where this wiring goes so maybe I can fish it out from a different way. This is on a 81, 27' but I'm guessing most are wired the same or at least similar. Luckily it doesn't effect the running lights so they must not go that way.
If you can see the wire, I would drill a small hole right beside the hole and fish it out that way. Of course, make sure the new hole is still going to be covered by the light once you replace it. If it falls inside the wall it will be very hard to get out.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

1972 23' Safari
Roseville , California
Did you have any luck? I was replacing my rear markers, when I pulled on the wire, it came undone inside, I drilled a hole to fish out the female end of connection with no luck.
Liltoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
No I haven't spent much time figuring it out. I was hoping someone who has taken the inside skin off would be able to shed some light on where the wiring is routed. It doesn't appear to go to the tail lights. If you figure out anything I'd appreciate an update, I'll do the same if I tackle the project. Good luck.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltoaster View Post
Did you have any luck? I was replacing my rear markers, when I pulled on the wire, it came undone inside, I drilled a hole to fish out the female end of connection with no luck.
Making the whole a little larger and fishing with a coat hanger is better than replacing the panel. Most of the times the wire does not fall very far.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
I've tried fishing, must have used the wrong bait as I didn't catch anything. I wasn't looking to replace the exterior panel just pop a few rivets on the inside skin in order to reach the wire. That's why I was wondering which way the wire goes (up/down/fwd or back) so I know what panel to pop loose.
If you're still fishing, good luck! I hope they're biting.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
which light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifihadtime View Post
I've tried fishing, must have used the wrong bait as I didn't catch anything. I wasn't looking to replace the exterior panel just pop a few rivets on the inside skin in order to reach the wire. That's why I was wondering which way the wire goes (up/down/fwd or back) so I know what panel to pop loose.
If you're still fishing, good luck! I hope they're biting.
I'm not sure which light your talking about. Why that might be helpful is, a lot of Airstream units have all the STT (stop tail and turn) along with the running lights, junction behind the left STT light. So, if the light your missing is the right side, lower one ( below the belt line) then the wire is most likely fallen down to the left.
That would be my best guess.

If this is the case it might have fallen all the way down to the floor level.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
peering into the wall.....

you might also try (buying / begging / borrowing / renting) a "borescope" or "inspection camera" from a tool supplier like one of the big orange box stores - Inspection Cameras - Power Tools - Tools & Hardware*at The Home Depot

or, your local auto mechanic, electrician, plumber, or general contractor may own one.

they're very handy for peering into otherwise inaccessible spaces! I've used them inside belly pans and other small places in an Airstream!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #9

1972 23' Safari
Roseville , California
still fishing on

seems like we are both having the same issues. I was replacing my rear running lights on my 1972 Safari, when I got to the three rear lights, I was doing great, until I started the third light, the one on the left, facing the front of the trailer. I took off the light, cut the wire, started to pull for some working room, and that is when i felt the wire give. I pulled out about five inches of wire with a male connector attached. i have no idea why they would make a connection like that in the interior wall. i drilled a hole and started fishing for two days with no luck. I finally gave up and continued the job, and just placed the new light with no connection. I just hope that the female end inside is insulated. I do not think that it would fall to far as there is a lot of insulation to stop travel. I think I will try to find the camera that you talk of. I don't want to make any more holes than I have to.
Liltoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
jm2 may have a better idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
you might also try (buying / begging / borrowing / renting) a "borescope" or "inspection camera" from a tool supplier like one of the big orange box stores - Inspection Cameras - Power Tools - Tools & Hardware*at The Home Depot

or, your local auto mechanic, electrician, plumber, or general contractor may own one.

they're very handy for peering into otherwise inaccessible spaces! I've used them inside belly pans and other small places in an Airstream!
I like jm2's idea.
I was in the Orange big box store also and I saw something that was a big help to me one time when I had the same problem you both (Ifihadtime & Liltoaster) are having now. The reason I added this is because the "borescope" may not have a "griper", or you may not be near a Home Depot. Below is a picture a 3 tool set that has one of these tools in it. I put blue marks on the picture to show what the griper part does. Maybe the "borescope" and the "griper" will work good together. You press on the plunger (near my finger) and the griper things come out. Let go and it grabs your wire.