Old 12-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
Running Lights on a '71 Sovereign

Hi Guys, another question or two from a new owner - (1) can you turn on the exterior lights without being hooked up to a vehicle? I did flip the single switch to the left of the front curbside window and one white light went on. (2)There are two other switches right inside the front door. What are they for? (3) Anybody know where I might find plastic light shades and knobs for the three ceiling fixtures? If not, what have you replaced these with?
Thanks in advance for any help you may lend.
Bill

Old 12-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Bill - welcome to Airforums. You can find the light covers here. They also have the replacement switches. It's my understanding your vintage knobs won't fit these switches but you may want to call them to confirm, if that is important to you. I took mine apart and cleaned them in order to retain the original knobs. Dimmer switch knobs from Lowes, etc. should fit the new switches if you go that route.
Electrical Inside : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
If you want to turn on the exterior running lights, the simplest, cheapest solution is to grab a 10A blade-style fuse and connect the two top sockets in the umbilical together. These are the two connections on either side of the raised "key" on the connector that fits into the top of the 7 pin socket on the tow vehicle.

Quick & simple. This will drain your house battery if you're not plugged in, of course.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Use of the blade fuse works, if you have the GM type round connector with flat contacts, rather than the round pin connectors.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeloNC View Post
Hi Guys, another question or two from a new owner - (1) can you turn on the exterior lights without being hooked up to a vehicle? I did flip the single switch to the left of the front curbside window and one white light went on.
The white light, variously called a "scare light" or "porch light," does turn on from the switch by the door. It's there to help you see when outside the trailer at night, or when evaluating the identity and intentions of any visitors arriving after dark.

Although adding an interior switch to turn on the running lights is a common modification (I have done this to my trailer for example), trailers did not have this feature from the factory. It is also common for people to turn on the running lights by shorting the connector to the tow vehicle, as Bart describes.

Quote:
(2)There are two other switches right inside the front door. What are they for?
They control interior lights. You'll have to be sure the switches on the lights themselves are on, too, for them to work.

[/QUOTE]
Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you need to replace the old ceiling lenses, and switches ( try Inland RV and Vintage Trailer Supply) you might consider switching to 12v LED units which will use a whole lot less battery if you are boondocking.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Use of the blade fuse works, if you have the GM type round connector with flat contacts, rather than the round pin connectors.
I checked and unfortunately, I have the old 7 pin connector. So, I am still looking for a way to turn on the running lights w/o a battery. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Bill
Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Use a battery charger. Connect the black lead to a clean spot on the frame then connect the red lead to the terminal on the 7 pin connector that is for the running lights.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A short jumper wire from the hot wire position to the lights position will doer.

Tags
sovereign