Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

1971 27' Overlander
Findlay , Ohio
Running lights aren't all working

Hello. 1971 Overlander. The left side running light works, the front 3 and right side do not. I replaced the right side one and it still doesn't work. Other than the cliche "why?" is it like christmas lights where the the left one is the first on the circuit so it works and the right one won't work until the middle 3 are fixed? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello to another Overlander owner. Mine is a 75. Mine has a 7 pin plug at the front of the body just above the mounting plate. The running light breakers are inside the trailer under the front window, behind the gaucho.

I do not believe the running lights are like old Christmas lights. One bulb can go out and the other lights will still work. This is my observation. Your owners manual may have the wiring color codes for the running lights, battery charge wire (blue), brakes, ground and the like.

You may have a broken wire and it may be just behind one of the running light mounts.

It can be frustrating to trace down a problem like this. Our vintage trailers are prone to corrosion at the connections and broken wires from years of use.

David

Old 12-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #3

1971 27' Overlander
Findlay , Ohio
Getting Somewhere

Thank you for your help. I pretty much rewired the truck, replaced the cable going to the trailer and then the contacts. Everything is working well, except the trail/brake/turn lights. With a voltmeter i get power from each terminal, including the turn signals. When I put a bulb in, absolutely nothing. 2 questions: 1, does the canister actually have to be attached to the frame to finish the ground, or does just placing it in the opening suffice? and 2, the dual filament canisters I purchased have a red and white wire coming out and the airstream is green and red/brown (depending on L/R). Does it matter which is which? How do I tell from the canister side which is the brake/turn and which is the running light wire? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
The running lights have to be grounded. When you checked voltage, you probably touched the black instrument wire to the shell to complete the circuit. I found the sheet metal screws that hold the running light fixtures to the shell act as the ground.

Our old trailers don't necessarily follow modern wire color schemes. You should be able to find a running lights diagram for your trailer on the internet somewhere. Try Airstream.com and document archives.

It's a hassle, but you might have to connect your tow vehicle umbilical cord to the trailer, turn on a turn signals, and then watch your voltmeter blink or not. You can keep testing in this way until you find the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals.

David
Old 12-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #5

1971 27' Overlander
Findlay , Ohio
Had a good today, all exterior and interior lighting/electricity now works! Thanks for all your help David! Now on to the LPG system.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Always happy to help a fellow Airstreamer. I've been helped many times by participants in these Forums.

I've not been in the gritty details of propane appliances. The furnace and water heater gas valves is not a repair item for me. I can run a propane line and clean a burner. Modern appliances with automatic ignition get even a bit more complex with their circuit boards and the like. I have replaced the appliances, or taken them to a repair shop where they have folks who know what they're doing. I don't want to be the cause of a big bang!

The original appliances in our old Overlanders are at the end of their useful life, especially the furnaces.

David