Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Question Running Lights

I recently purchased a 1987 29' Sovereign which had been recoated in Ohio 3 yrs ago. When they did the recoat they did not remove the running lights and the acid they used to strip the trailer really tore them up. I went by an Airstream service center in Dallas to pick up some replacements and when I got home realized the new lights they sold me are not an easy swap. The old ones have one wire hole in the upper right hand corner and one wire hole in the lower left hand corner. The new lights have both wire holes at either the top or bottom (depending on how you orient the light). Also the new lights don't have the adapters to slide the stock connectors in.....they would have to be hard wired. Does anyone know if I can purchase replacements that match the original lights?
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:42 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd call Andy and see what he has:

http://www.inlandrv.com/

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 04:45 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
looking for this?

they are manufactured by grote industries.

you should be able to find them at any truck stop or parts house, napa etc.

john

grote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Bullseyes

The picture that John posted (the same as on the '87) are availavble at virtually all parts houses.

The LED versions are now out at the Big Rig parts houses (Peterbilt, Freightliner, Mack) at about $10 each (either red or amber). Watch the number of LED's in the body, as both 5 light and 7 light units are out there.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 09:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thanks to all for responding - I just talked to the shop that I bought the lights from and they cleared it all up for me. It seems the old lights on my trailer had a positive and a ground wire that had to be hooked up. The new lights only have a positive wire and the lights ground themselves to the trailer when you screw them on. Problem solved!
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Did the front and rear center triple running lights have a cast aluminum bezel or trim that the plastic assembly fits into?

All the side markers and corner marker lights have the cast bezels.

I am thinking maybe someone did away with our front & rear bezels when changing out the assemblies. It's a 1974.

If the bezels did exist are they still available Andy?

S&V
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:05 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The center three markers, front and rear did not have the aluminum bases like the corner lights. They are attached directly to the skin.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 08:48 PM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Lights

Actually, The photos posted above are not the replacements. The replacements have two bulbs which kind of look like two "bull eyes" one on each half of the lens.

You can buy them at Wal Mart for much less than the RV stores are asking. The units are typically plastic based but you can buy the cast metal based ones from any trucking supply store or truck stop.

The cast units blend a little better and they are not effected by a solvent such as paint stripper. The lights come with one connection and ground to the skin via the screws that hold them in place. They are a Grote product but the lights are manufactured by several manufacturers including Signal Stat who is now Truck lite.

Th old units have a metal receptacle which in time lose there retaining "spring" The new ones are plastic based and come with a light bulb that resembles a Yard light bulb, All glass with no metal base. Last a long time.

The replacement cost around 3 dollars each at Wally world and you can pick them as cheap a 1 dollar at Harbor Freight tool stores and truck stops.

Been there done that many times.
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote