Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Ottawa , Ontario
Running light won't turn off

We have a 25CCD International and the umbilical cord ended up falling during our travels and rubbing along the road. Most of the wires ended up burning apart due to the friction. I was able to temporarily tape them back together, color to color, and get everything working again. The only problem is with the rear right running light which won't turn off. The only way the light turns off is when I disconnect the battery or disconnect and remove the light. Any advice or shared experiences will be appreciated.
terryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
We have a 25CCD International and the umbilical cord ended up falling during our travels and rubbing along the road. Most of the wires ended up burning apart due to the friction. I was able to temporarily tape them back together, color to color, and get everything working again. The only problem is with the rear right running light which won't turn off. The only way the light turns off is when I disconnect the battery or disconnect and remove the light. Any advice or shared experiences will be appreciated.
A strand of that tail light wire is touching a 12 volt source.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Are you sure it is a running light. All running lights should come on under those conditions. It would more likely be the right brake/turn light.
Regardless the most likely problem would be a short between the battery lead and the running light lead. Basically black wire(bat) and brown wire (light)

It is also possible that you have crossed brown and black in your splice, particularly if the repair was under low light conditions.

Less likely is a problem in the connector itself unless it was also damaged

Hope that helps
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for the feedback Andy and Rick. I need to replace the umbilical cord in any event. It is currently being held with electrical tape. Do you think my replacing the umbilical cord should solve the problem? and is this a difficult thing to do? I find it very hard to find a dealer who will work on our trailer. Thanks very much for your help and advice, Terry
terryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

I know it's after the fact....but I use zip-ties to hold the plug in.

Not difficult to replace the cord, did it on our first AS.

Good Luck

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 BURB SHAKEDOWN TRIP 018.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	135489