Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Rope lights inside roof lockers

We have had an ongoing problem on both the trailer and the truck camper of insufficient light reaching the interior of the roof lockers. The flipper doors partially shade the locker from direct illumination from ceiling lights.

I'm thinking of running rope lights along the inside top face frame to help with this. Since I've never worked with rope lights before, I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar or has any general advice.

Also wondering how the rope LEDs are working out in practice compared to the incandescent rope, out there in the real world. The differences in cost, power consumption, and heat output are obvious -- the differences in light output and reliability less so.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I put warm LED over roof locker. Camera doesn't do justice. LED drivers /dimmer are key.

For inside, Not wanting to always be turned on when door opens means switch power through door switch or other method. I bought rope LEDs in two colors, waterproof with adhesive.

To try them for light output I put the spool inside a dark plastic bag, applied power and pulled the illuminated strip out until I had the amount of desired light. Then just kill power and cut the strip at the proper cut line you can see on the strip.

Very pleased.

I am using surface mount dimmer drivers which just plug in. I bought a couple of them. This way if I have a failure it is simple to swap out.

Pm if you want specs on purchased items.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
One of our customers is putting LED strips in his overhead cabinets. He is running a power wire from one of the light switches in the ceiling center, and eliminating the one "bulb" in the fixture as independently switchable. With LEDs, it isn't so much worry about power draw.
So, he has one light fixture that has 4 LEDs on and off with the switch, and the other setting on the switch turns the cabinet LEDs on and off.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is a picture of "making sausage"/ creating install:
Will get pics once all details ironed out

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3937098105.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	184318

I am hiding wiring behind factory radio. I need extra wiring for dimmer function.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Sylvania Mosaic Flexible LED Light Kit
Price:$41.95 & FREE Shipping.

Jammer,
I bought this kit. I have tried it out and they work as advertised. It comes with a remote and a plug in 110v transformer that changes it to 12v. My plan is to not use the transformer and tap the trailer 12v system.
I have not installed them yet although, I have them plugged in in my house and play with the light dimmer, and color changer often.
The product name and price was copied from Amazon.com. Check there for more info and reviews.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I like LED rope light, mine came from Costco. About 18' for $18 as I recall. The problem with it would be that it does not operate from 12 volts, unless through an inverter. But, if you are normally hooked up to power, the light is fine. The LED's are on about a 1" center so there are plenty enough for light inside a cabinet.

I have not used mine in a cabinet, however, but I know it would work fine.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Home Depot has a pack of 10 12v LED mini-puck lights for use in and under cabinets. They have a 120v to 12v transformer plug which you can chuck or use for something else. Since there is already 12v lighting under your flipper cabinets, you can tie into those. I use them for lighting shelves in closet and as a night light in the bathroom.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Here is LED driver. Runs off 12vdc

Ok eBay. 180900536285
Old 04-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Wiring details please...

Thanks for the reference to the Ebay dimmer. Think that is a *buy* for several of them. Saw your pic above where you accessed power by the radio.

What are you planning on doing? And how are you using the dimmers?

I bought 2 of those nice Ebay 12v spots that Zep and Jammer mentioned on the "reinventing the scare light" post. . http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...t-99834-6.html

Thanks for your ideas.
Steve
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Steve,

There are two larger wires behind radio for DC power. I carefully tapped into them with FUSED wire to terminal block. All wires solder tinned.

This powers the dimmer/driver. Or anything else I need to add to the area. Of course you need to add load wisely.

I will Velcro the terminal block inside so I can remove for access. There is almost 2 inches of clearance from bulkhead to the radio so little chance of touching.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Dimmer for Rope Light

Thanks for reply. Think I'll go ahead and purchase several.

Where did you pick up your rope lights, Ebay?

Think I'm going to replace fluorescent with strip LED which I'll have to cut and solder adjacent strips to go in where the fluorescent bulbs were.

Steve
Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post

Think I'm going to replace fluorescent with strip LED which I'll have to cut and solder adjacent strips to go in where the fluorescent bulbs were.

Steve
Steve, Ahmuhzon....that's where I found best deal. YMMV...(your money may vary)...

Look up LED Wholesalers on Azon... btw, I don't have any financial or other benefit from Azon or anyone on there..
Old 04-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav'h Steve View Post

Steve
I replaced the fluorescent lights in my vent light (one so far). I cut and soldered the strips, and added a strip of blue LEDs with a switch and dimmer. Details here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ght-99858.html

Working great, so far.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Sylvania Mosaic Flexible LED Light Kit
Price:$41.95 & FREE Shipping.

Jammer,
I bought this kit. I have tried it out and they work as advertised. It comes with a remote and a plug in 110v transformer that changes it to 12v. My plan is to not use the transformer and tap the trailer 12v system.
I have not installed them yet although, I have them plugged in in my house and play with the light dimmer, and color changer often.
The product name and price was copied from Amazon.com. Check there for more info and reviews.
I put these in over all of my cabinets, we love them. I'm going to put some inside the cabinets as well now. One thing, the receiver will stop working with the remote every once in a while. Plugging and unplugging the receiver fixes it but I since some are in the cabinets I found that cutting the store/in use switch also resets them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000175.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	184526