Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Retrofit classic light up entry handle?

I saw the light up helical entry handle on a classic trailer and think it's very neat. Has anyone ever done or heard of someone adding that to their non classic airstream trailer? I searched around but found nothing. Not sure of parts or costs either.

I am new to the forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

Thanks!

Josh
jnuechte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuechte View Post
I saw the light up helical entry handle on a classic trailer and think it's very neat. Has anyone ever done or heard of someone adding that to their non classic airstream trailer? I searched around but found nothing. Not sure of parts or costs either.

I am new to the forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section.

Thanks!

Josh
Welcome to the Forum Josh. I've had that question on my mind for some time now. Would really like one on my 26U. Will follow your thread and hope you get some positive feed back. If not, I'll be at the Mothership on Oct. 20th for some warranty work, so I'll see what they say about the handle mod.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Sounds great! Please share what you find out. Pricing too, I bet that handle is not cheap...
Old 09-06-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Entry Handle

Can you post a picture of what you are looking for? I have some friends that have custom part connections but they have no idea what you are looking at for or a part ID. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Can you post a picture of what you are looking for? I have some friends that have custom part connections but they have no idea what you are looking at for or a part ID. Ed
Thanks Ed! I have attached a screencapture from a colonial airstream video. You can see the handle on the right hand side of the door.

I think its a super neat handle, and probably a fairly easy upgrade, depending on the price of the part itself...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	271056  
Old 09-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
A quick Google and there are several from 20 to 80 but mainly around 50. May not be exactly the same.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Lighted handle

When I had my 2007 25' Classic built at the factory there were a number of changes and upgrades we added. These all had to be approved by the management before work began. One request I had was the lighted clear grab handle. They said they couldn't install it on the 25. Something about the lack of room between the door and lower vista view and the fact that it was secured before the inner skin was installed
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Washington , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
Welcome to the Forum Josh. I've had that question on my mind for some time now. Would really like one on my 26U. Will follow your thread and hope you get some positive feed back. If not, I'll be at the Mothership on Oct. 20th for some warranty work, so I'll see what they say about the handle mod.
Any word on the handle upgrade? Hope your trip to Jackson Center was enjoyable!!

Josh
Old 12-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Hi Josh....as stated above...handle is installed before inner skin is installed. Really no way to get at it now.

I ended up cancelling my appointment at the factory as my items are just cosmetic. I did stop there on the way home from the Alumalina Rally and had my items looked at. New table tops and kitchen counter top will be sent to my dealer here in Ontario who will install the new counter top....original has a chip out of it. Table tops are too short to rest on dinette rails.....bed falls in. Otherwise, all is good. Don