Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Resourceful Replacement for '70s Tail Light Cans

Both reverse tail light "Cans" in my '72 were rusted beyond belief. Of course, these Cans aren't being made any more, so I got to thinking today what would be a suitable replacement for these? "Hey! How about a large tuna can?," I said to myself. These cans are almost the exact same size at a hair under 4 inches. I don't have one handy for this photo but I have another that illustrates my point. The lens can be filed down every so slightly to fit the contours of the can.

The large tuna can can be cut using tin snips on top which will be needed so the light can shine out but leaving enough of a lip so that the lens can be screwed into the Can. After completing all cuts the can would essentially look like the original Airstream Can. Drill a large hole on the bottom for the socket and positive lead, spray a coat of primer, then a couple coats of black Rustoleum spray paint.

What a cheap and inexpensive (about 2 bucks a can) way to refurbish your Airstream leaving the original tail light look while retaining use of the Fiber Optic system.

I'll start on this tomorrow and post my results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6280270.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	83055   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6280271.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	83056  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Ingenious!

How are you going to secure the screws?

Remember if you paint the can with silver paint instead of black it will reflect the light better making it brighter.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thanks, Mary. But I doubt I'm the first to think of this.

The lens would be secured to the top of the can. Like I said in my original post, "the large tuna can can be cut using tin snips on top which will be needed so the light can shine out but leaving enough of a lip so that the lens can be screwed into the Can."

This solution will work and save me money on new lights or LEDs. Yeah, I thought of using silver paint earlier, but it won't look vintage if I do that. Of course, who will see it but you, LOL.

4CU 1st VP

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Thanks, Mary. But I doubt I'm the first to think of this.

The lens would be secured to the top of the can. Like I said in my original post, "the large tuna can can be cut using tin snips on top which will be needed so the light can shine out but leaving enough of a lip so that the lens can be screwed into the Can."

This solution will work and save me money on new lights or LEDs. Yeah, I thought of using silver paint earlier, but it won't look vintage if I do that. Of course, who will see it but you, LOL.
Exactly. I would think that the brighter light for safety, should out weigh the vintage issue. IMHO

We are going to be putting the LED lights on ours. We got them from Inland RV. I just wish they had a more vintage look to the lens, or maybe a design in the plastic lens to not allow the actual "LEDS" to be seen directly.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 06-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
What about small stainless steel bowls from the dollar store? I'm not saying I have checked if this will work, it's just a thought.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryw164 View Post
Exactly. I would think that the brighter light for safety, should out weigh the vintage issue. IMHO

We are going to be putting the LED lights on ours. We got them from Inland RV. I just wish they had a more vintage look to the lens, or maybe a design in the plastic lens to not allow the actual "LEDS" to be seen directly.

Mary
Mary.

Welcome to modern technology, that strives to make things better as opposed to keeping them the same.

We certainly would not, for a number of reasons, want tire manufacturers to make them like the good ole days.

In our inherent search for bigger, better and the like, some mistakes will happen. We all strive to keep them at a minimum.

Tail lights that are brighter, and at a lesser cost of power (amps), is a huge improvement for highway safety, and helping, however small, to keep our planet greener.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Okay, I didn't think I was the first to think of this and I was right. Here's one guy's solution using a tuna can. I wouldn't do it quite this way, but he has the right idea.

Get Out the Map

After rumaging through grocery stores, it doesn't look like anybody makes a can the same size as the Airstream canister. The Airstream canister is a little over an inch high and the canned tuna and chicken cans are higher than this. So time for plan B. I'll need to cut a 4" can to size and use a little JB Weld on the top for the lens to screw into. The open end of the can will house the lens, opposite of the what the guy did in the above link.

If anybody knows of a can that will fit the requirements of an Airstream tail light canister, I'd be interested to know about it.

4CU 1st VP

Old 07-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
If anybody knows of a can that will fit the requirements of an Airstream tail light canister, I'd be interested to know about it.
Mike, sure do.

It's called an LED replacement.

No more worries about rust, bad bulbs or sockets, and is the bulkb really working.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Mike,

Check with these guys. They are local to where we live, and my hubby Steve says they can find and deal with many different lighting manufacturers. It can't hurt to ask.

http://www.luslighthouse.com/

Hope you & the family have a good 4th,
Mary

Forums member #29232

Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Mike, sure do.

It's called an LED replacement.

No more worries about rust, bad bulbs or sockets, and is the bulkb really working.

Andy
Not everyone has the means to go out and buy all the new technology. It might be the easy solution, but not the only solution. Necessity is the mother of invention. Maybe through Mike's search for finding a cost effective replacement, he'll find a something that others could benefit from too. Not everyone has deep pockets to fund repairs and renovations.

Mary
Forums member #29232

Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
If I'm not mistaken, those 'cans' look like the standard sizes used in the trucking industry for many years...

Look up a truck parts supplier or large truck stop in your area to find brand new replacements, along with LED units that will fit...

I've seen those light 'cans' made of aluminum and even stainless steel (used on SS tankers)...

Our 78 has the Marathon, square lights, and I had to modify some LED fender mounted truck units for our tail and stop lights...they sure BRIGHT...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BU Lts [Desktop Resolution].JPG
Views:	367
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	83285  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Mike!!

I've been researching Grote, and they have a pretty comprehensive selection of lighting for the automotive industry. They may offer something that will work for your application.

I'd never heard of them before, but they are original equipment on our 73 Avion.

Best of Luck,

Kevin

Grote The First Name In Vehicle Safety Systems

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Mike,

I think you're being a bit short sighted in your quest for a cheap alternative. The vegetable can will rust very soon, regardless of what you do to prevent it.

Either do the LEDs or a modification of the Truck lite, but using a tin can will require you to face this dilemma again,most likely within 2 years.

This is an area where I think it is best to sink the cost, get it done right, and not worry about it again as long as you own the trailer.

(But maybe I'm the only guy on the forums who has delayed departures more than once to screw around with tail lights and a 12v tester because one light didn't work.)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I spoke with Steve at Vintage Trailers today and he is seriously considering making these canisters. It appears that this type was used in model years 1969 to 1974, which is a pretty sizable number of trailers. Doesn't sound like metal is feasible, which I think is a good thing. Those who would like to see Steve add this to his already impressive list of vintage items, should call him and encourage this addition. Guys like him need our support.

4CU 1st VP

Old 08-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1969 23' Safari
Port Angeles , Washington
i was on vintage trailer supply today and was pretty sure i saw the cans there Exterior Lights

Are these round ones not the right ones?

anami

Quote:
I spoke with Steve at Vintage Trailers today and he is seriously considering making these canisters. It appears that this type was used in model years 1969 to 1974, which is a pretty sizable number of trailers. .
anami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #16
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
no, they're not.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Mike, Mexray is right. The guy who did the refurbishestoration (my word) on our Sovereign used light buckets from a trucker supply place. A little trimming on the buckets and they fit perfect.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Speaking of rusted taillights. It didn't dawn on me until I got my 71 Caravel home earlier this year what was different about the taillights. Looks like at one point in time the previous owner had the same problem with the taillights rusting out and had the entire unit replaced. I'm not sure if they are ones from a late model airstream or truck type but, they seem to fit fairly well. All the work was done from the outside because its held in place with four screws one on each corner. Seems to me I remember reading the instructions for this procedure in a maintenance manual I have. You cut the rivets from the outside by sliding a thin chisel between the light fixture frame and the side of the trailer. I had to change out over half of the screws to stainless. Whoever installed it didn't realize regular steel screws were going to rust and stain the chrome finish.

Even though they aren't the original round lights I kind of like the look of the square lens now that they are cleaned up.
This is a photo before I picked it up to bring home.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71 Caravel streetside rear.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	85007  
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I gave in...

In order to save time I decided to just go ahead and purchase the ugly LED reverse lights for my Sovereign from Inland Andy. But I found an easy solution to dress up these ugly but very effective lights. See pic. I simply gorilla glued a brand new vintage style lens over the new LED. Looks vintage but is LED bright.

I was able to salvage the canisters for both tail lights and did this mainly to retain the Fiber Optic front view capability. I'm pretty happy with the way all the tail lights look and function.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8110443.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	85237  

4CU 1st VP

Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the tip Mello Mike!

When I had my trailer connector rewired (to standard pin/wire configuraiton), my reverse lights still didn't light. I was told that there is power to them - but the cans are completely rusted and won't hold the bulb. So, I started looking through the lighting resources at Vintage Trailer and saw the LEDs. I haven't purchased yet - because I won't do the work until I start my stripping/polishing work - but wondered also about replacing the markers with LED's. The price seems good, but it does *add up* quickly!

Wonder why the back-up cans seem to rust before the brake lights? Seems odd. Thanks again for the tip on how to make them look vintage. Glad it doesn't significantly reduce the brightness either. Not that I'm going to be super worried when backing - since I'm hardly ever running in reverse in traffic anyway. Hardly ever ...

If anyone is still out there ... are the round rear reflectors (in the lighting bar) pretty easy to replace? I did order those and figure that they are secured with an adhesive. Hope the old ones pop off easy. What should I use to reattach - I am a big consumer of liquid nail. But I know it isn't a fix all!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote