Old 10-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Replacing Wiring In The Walls

On my 1963 Tradewind that I have been restoring my wiring in the walls was never changed out. I know I was an idiot not to do this when she was gutted. Just trying to figure out if I can correct my mistake. I have read that sometimes these old wires can start fire. What causes this, I know heat but what causes them to heat up? Can I still run new wire by clipping at each outlet and pulling new line thru? Has anybody on here done this? I'm thinking its possible just would need wiring diagram. If you have a wiring diagram for this specific Airstream please share.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963tradewin View Post
On my 1963 Tradewind that I have been restoring my wiring in the walls was never changed out. I know I was an idiot not to do this when she was gutted. Just trying to figure out if I can correct my mistake. I have read that sometimes these old wires can start fire. What causes this, I know heat but what causes them to heat up? Can I still run new wire by clipping at each outlet and pulling new line thru? Has anybody on here done this? I'm thinking its possible just would need wiring diagram. If you have a wiring diagram for this specific Airstream please share.
You cannot pull wires thru the walls, because of the bends etc, that all have sharp edges.

The wires in your Airstream, while old, are ok.

The electrical systems are old too, but the only thing you can update is by adding a Univolt system.

I am not aware of wiring in your model trailer, ever causing a fire.

Electrical fires in an Airstream are caused by cords, appliances etc, that were not a part of anything Airstream installed.

Andy

Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
wiring fires

The typical wiring fires are very rare in an Airstream

However, many of the early 1969 models did indeed, have electrical fires, but they were caused by a 12 volt DC problem.

The battery hold down bracket, which was grounded, when loose, hit the positive terminal of the battery, resulting in an almost instant fire.

Art Costello said "no way" to the cause of that fire.

We, at Caravanner Insurance Company, went down to the Cerritos plant, got together with Art, who pulled a new trailer off the line, and said "show me".

We moved that bracket to the positive terminal of the battery and therein started the fire.

Since we had 3 of those losses in one week, Art then went to his office and wrote us a check for those 3.

There was a federal recall about that problem, and hopefully they have been all corrected.

So much for "show me".

Andy
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
At this, it sounds like you should reuse the orig wiring.

pulling wires like you mentioned could be very difficult
if not impossible
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Its very difficult to pull the wires through the insulating grommets in the ribs. If you do manage to get a wire pulled there is no way of knowing if youíve dislodged a grommet, cut the insulation and chaffed the wire. Even then the wire may eventually rub through on the edge of the hole in the rib.
You didn't know if you're referring to 12 volt of 120 volt wires. As far as wires heating up you may have aluminum wires for your 120 volt AC wiring. The aluminum wires oxidize at the connections causing resistance. The poor connections heat up causing more oxidation and looser contacts and even more heat.
I donít know when they started using it but I had an outlet fire in my í67 due to it.
Reusing the old and cleaning everything up is probably the better way to go.

Good luck
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
I thank all of you. That is a big relief for me. My 120 wires are copper, and it looks like someone else replaced the 12v wires at some point.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963tradewin View Post
I thank all of you. That is a big relief for me. My 120 wires are copper, and it looks like someone else replaced the 12v wires at some point.
There was a little problem with some of the 1967 models that used "aluminum" wire.

That was the only year it was used, and then only for the 120 AC, never the 12 volts DC.

All the other years used copper wire for the 120 volts AC.

Andy