Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Replacement LED fixture under front cap

Our 1988 25' has the original equipment single slider type fixtures for under the front cap above the couch. Has anyone replaced these fixtures with LED fixtures that were bright enough to read by without being too bright and then having to use dimmers to be happy? After reading all the threads here on LEDs it seems that replacement LED bulbs for incandescents are talked about as are LED replacement for halogens. I realize there are many catalogs out there both RV and Marine LEDs but am looking for a recommendation from someone who has done the replacement and is happy with it.

Also-- how about recessed LED fixtures under these older plastic front caps? Is there enough clearance width for them to look right? Does the existing wiring
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
You don't have to change the fixture unless you are wanting new ones, you can get the bulbs with varying intensity, you can also replace the florescent bulbs with a led ribbon light and use the old fixtures. I have not done this yet because I am remodeling and not that far into the project but have located my local supplier.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Wsmith-- was thinking I may want the complete new LED fixture to follow after crack repair and fresh paint on the plastic caps. I had thought of replacing the fixtures with flourescent "slim-lites", but would really like LED lighting in this location to read by when boondocking. Some of the LED reading light fixtures in the catalogs appear to hang too low and am afraid of busting them off when my head gets in the way. I may decide to keep the old fixtures after all and just go with the LED bulbs, but the fixtures are beginning to look a little old and discolored. Thanks for the led ribbon light suggestion.
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote