Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tde318 View Post
Thanks again for all the ideas.

"CanoeStream", your 3 blown fuses where in the truck I assume, right?

Below should be a picture of the new light. The black lead was factory installed, it goes behind the light to the black out of the trailer. The white was put there by me, just like the originals. My thought was to disconnect the white and wrap it around the screws that hold the light to the trailer.

But I don't want to do that 7 times just yet. As suggested, I'll start with the TV and work my way back.
Hi,

From your photo, it looks like your running lights have the black and white (negative and positive) wires both connected to the brass piece that is common to the outer shell of the light bulb. If so, this is a dead short.

Also, it appears that the center pin of the light bulb is common (electrically connected) to the mounting screws that are essentially grounded to your trailer. Basically, the brass colored metal is supposed to be positive and the silver metal is supposed to be negative.

If this is the case, you have blown a fuse somewhere. If not your TV, it will be the one in your trailer.

Remedy the dead short by removing the ground wire from the brass piece that is common to the outer shell of the light bulb and replace the blown fuse.

You will need to connect only the positive wire to the brass piece that is common to the outer shell of the light bulb. The negative wire will not be used because your replacement light appears (again, from your picture) to pick up the ground from the mounting screws.

I am replacing my lights with LED’s from Vintage Trailer Supply and am running into the same issue – their LED lights don’t need a ground wire. They get ground from the mounting screws.

Hope this helps.

Chris
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, put the ground on the screw and it should work after you replace the fuses...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I also spotted the problem the White wire does NOT connect to the same place as the black. Black is hot, White is ground and (U really don't need the white wire) should be connected to one of the mounting screws. In connecting White and Black together U have blown an internal fuse in the fuse panel . DAH result not power.
I just replaced all my marker lites in June ,mine only had one Black wire for each lite and fixtures are grounded to the body by the screws.
Take off all the white wires and make them ground U should be good to go. Trust me I have changed 100's of these in my 45 yrs in a big truck. This system is no different.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
Is your photo upside down? If not your weep holes should be on the bottom.
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Purcellville , Virginia
I know what I'll be doing tonight. Thanks.

There are 6 weep holes on these things (from InlandRV) two top, two sides and two on the bottom. I didn't use water-proof crimp connectors on the back which is why I think I should cover the ones on top and sides.
tde318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
WOW

I am sorry I did not study your picture in detail when I first commented. The White wire is your short. The way it shows in the picture both Black and White are attached to the same point. It should go under either of the screws that mount the fixture to the trailer. That white wire is not really needed with an Airstream, the Airstream body is the return path for the lights, but as long as it is there use it as noted. 2 ground paths will not hurt.

The White wire is for SOBs that do not have a metal body and thus need a separate path to ground.

As a first test just remove the lens and lift all of the white wire off the terminal. If the lights work then you can connect the white wire to as noted as a backup.

As for the weep holes I would leave at least one open on the bottom just to make sure there is a way for any water that gets in behind the fixture to get out.

Again sorry I missed that.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Purcellville , Virginia
A beautiful thing...

Had to replace one 15A fuse in the TV and made the white wire adjustments as mentioned.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Running Lights Working.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	69066  
tde318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Sweet, glad it worked out.... I did the same thing replacing some plugs in an old house once... Blew the fuse and had to switch the wires around...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote