Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Recessed lights - should I go LED or Halogen for more options?

Starting a new thread... got no reponses on the Mega LED thread

I'm going to put round 3"ish recessed lights into a 75 Safari. I'm looking at either putting in recessed dedicated LED lights (like found on sailorsams.com) or just opting for the standaed halogen variety since it give me the option of the 10W, 5W halogen bulbs plus the option to convert to LED.

I'm concerned that LED may not be bright enough and then I'll be stuck with limited/no options other than replace the whole unit. With the standard halogen lamp shell there are serveral configurations possible

Ideas or observations for those folks that have bravely gone before?
Old 09-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
LED is as bright or brighter than the standard lights... So there should be no problem... I'm not sure if they are brighter than the Halogen though....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
helpful threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...non-25555.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ccd-35735.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...hts-29700.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f283...hts-18870.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Purman--

I've bought a couple of LED lights (one from IKEA) but was disappointed with the light output. There are expensive ones from $85 to $150 that are comparable but that's a bit expensive when you are look at 15-20 lights for the entire airstream.

Richinny--

I found all of those thread but the 2nd and will buy from them if I go halogen. All of the other links I found were 18 months or older (except the Mega LED thread) and the LED technology gets updated often so I was looking for an update.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
One consideration for halogen lights is that they generate a LOT of heat. Great for cool northwest autumns but not so great in eastern Oregon in the summer.

As far as "newer" technology, check out the Dr Led lights: Doctor LED, Dr. LED, is a designer and manufacturer of LED-based lighting solutions for landscape, marine, boat, RVs, cars, solar panel, interior, and outdoor applications.

They are a "soft" white light, not the bluish light produced by many LED's. We have used the replacement bulbs and have the 6 1/2" diameter Mars lights as well as the Saturn ring installed on our 24' Argosy. They remain cool to the touch and are a very low draw.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ikea,,,, My wife loves that store, she's swedish,, they are gonna build one south of Denver... Well to say the least the lights you get there are not top of the line.... The problem with LED is they are expensive.... but cheap to make... go figure...
I have thought about taking the ones out of one of my flash lights and playing with it.... They are cheap and bright...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
I just got two battery operated LED puck lights to try out. They have one of the Golden Dragon LEDs in them and are so bright you are not to look at them !! This type of LED looks like a little yellow square, not the clear plastic drop of the more conventional types, and is WAY brighter. They also have a motion on/off and an auto off feature. I think they would be plenty to read by if they weren't too far from the page.

Obviously the 3 AA's will have to be replaced, but they draw so little that it should be a while. I have found that the battery operated LED lights come with very tired batteries or maybe cheap ones. When you replace the batteries with fresh ones, they last forever.

If you are positive you will NEVER boondock, the halogens are OK, and you can get a replacement LED bulb for them.
someisgood is offline   Reply With Quote