Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Rear Marker Light Installation...

I just purchased new LED marker lights for all around the AS. I noticed that on my AS the rear red marker lights do not have the chrome metal trim ring/seat. On the rear of the trailer the existing marker lights sit directly on the skin of the AS. It appears the PO has a good bead of caulk around them. Is this the same for all trailers?...that there is no metal trim around the rear marker lights?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	113800

This is the marker light I bought from Vintage Trailer Supply. You will see that there is no hollow or recess on the back of the light. It would seem that I will not be able to use these on the back of my AS since there is no "hollow" on the back to route the wire through the skin? Am I missing something? I think I either need to purchase and install the chrome trim rings or return the marker lights I bought for some that have a recess in the back for mounting the wire. What do you think?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
take the old plastic bases from the original lights. the new lights should snap onto them.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
snap off the old socket, etc. this will give room for wiring.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
snap off the old socket, etc. this will give room for wiring.
Thanks for the thought...but I believe the plastic base is where the lamps(bulbs) are mounted. So to reuse the base I would only be replacing the lens. My intention was to use the whole light....LED's and all. To reuse the base would be to waste the money spent on LED's?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
I am going to replace mine as well. I was thinking of drilling a new hole in the shell large enough to allow the connectionof the LED to go inside the shell. This would keep the connection inside like the factory install. The problem is accessing the wiring from behind. The interior end cap is in the way and it is not very flexible.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
the new unit should snap over the old base [with bulbs and socket, old wiring removed]. this will give approx. half inch clearance for new wires. the original hot wire will be run thru a hole drilled in plastic base. the new ground is thru mounting screws.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
round trailer flat light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSilverado View Post
....... that there is no hollow or recess on the back of the light. It would seem that I will not be able to use these on the back of my AS since there is no "hollow" on the back to route the wire through the skin? Am I missing something? I think I either need to purchase and install the chrome trim rings or return the marker lights I bought for some that have a recess in the back for mounting the wire. What do you think?
I have installed that light on Airstream units before. Once you take the old light off you will see one wire. The one wire on your light in the picture will attach to the one wire on the trailer. Use a small butt conector and push it inside the trailer. You may have to carve some of the sealer out of the way as the butt conector has to be inside the trailer. Do not lose the wire inside the trailer!!!!!!!!You will have to use a sealer to seal the wire hole and the mounting rivets. I would use spread rivets. It will ground when you attach it. You will want to make sure the wire takes up as little space behind the light as you can.

It can be done to where it is as close as a "hollow back light" can be done. Most people I have talked to about this light do not want to mess with the sealer inside the traler. I has to be sealed whatever light you use. It has to be sealed at the wire, the rivets, and around the whole light base.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I am going to replace mine as well. I was thinking of drilling a new hole in the shell large enough to allow the connectionof the LED to go inside the shell. This would keep the connection inside like the factory install. The problem is accessing the wiring from behind. The interior end cap is in the way and it is not very flexible.
I would cut the connector off the light in the picture and use a butt connector. You don't want to run the risk of losing the wire inside the trailer.