Old 10-14-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
The Villages , Florida
Rear LED Tail lights

My LED tail lights on my 2007 Classic are going south. Quite a few of the small LED's have quit. I thought these were supposed to last a long time. Do I have to buy new ones? When you think about it, they really haven't been used much, but the old bulb type seem to last forever.

[COLOR="Red"]WBCCI #4941

"Jerry and our Amazing Dream Stream"
PhiDor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Last July after picking up my new to me 2006 Safari I stopped by Jackson Center to get my rear lights looked at. They changed the LED modules out. No charge for that job. Of course managed to spend about $400 on other work done.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
I have a 2009 Classic and my rear LEDs were burning out. While replacing them I found moisture had gotten inside the lenses. Apparently in 2009 there wasn't much effort placed on sealing the lense cover to the base and moisture was able to seep in. I also noticed the new replacement LED lense covers were better sealed to keep out moisture.

The reason sealed LEDs are so important is that unlike incandescent bulbs they don't generate much heat and it's the heat that evaporates any moisture. If LEDs are kept dry, they should far outlast incandescent bulbs. Just be sure they're sealed so moisture can't get in.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Replacement LED's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiDor View Post
My LED tail lights on my 2007 Classic are going south. Quite a few of the small LED's have quit. I thought these were supposed to last a long time. Do I have to buy new ones? When you think about it, they really haven't been used much, but the old bulb type seem to last forever.
Just finished ordering four replacements this evening from:

Oval Red 60 LED Stop/Tail/Turn Lamp

Not my first time to replace one and I think these are priced reasonably. I also made online contact with the original manufacturer but never got a reply nor did I see my model in their online catalog so I went with the former. As I recall back in 2006, the case on the original had not been sealed and was full of water and it shorted out the LED's.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
QUOTE=Alice&Billis;1699249]Just finished ordering four replacements this evening from:

Not my first time to replace one and I think these are priced reasonably. I also made online contact with the original manufacturer but never got a reply nor did I see my model in their online catalog so I went with the former. As I recall back in 2006, the case on the original had not been sealed and was full of water and it shorted out the LED's.[ QUOTE]

Please post to us how these worked for you when you've installed them...we need to replace ours eventually as well...and they cost a LOT from Airstream.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
QUOTE=Alice&Billis;1699249]Just finished ordering four replacements this evening from:

Not my first time to replace one and I think these are priced reasonably. I also made online contact with the original manufacturer but never got a reply nor did I see my model in their online catalog so I went with the former. As I recall back in 2006, the case on the original had not been sealed and was full of water and it shorted out the LED's.[ QUOTE]

Please post to us how these worked for you when you've installed them...we need to replace ours eventually as well...and they cost a LOT from Airstream.
Will do!
Old 10-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
LED Replacement

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Replacement tight quarters male plug.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	250962

Name:	LED Replacement sealing pigtails with caulk.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	250963

Name:	LED Replacement sealed and plugged in.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	250964

Name:	LED Replacement and beware the sharp neat cut aluminum.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	250965Received four new replacement LED signals in the mail as promised yesterday. They are identical, same manufacturer but these have a new part number. I sealed the two halves together with super glue, wiping excess off and neutralizing with a damp paper towel and finished up by liberally packing some caulking around the three wire inlet hoping these actions will slow the moisture infiltration. I found these popularly priced at $55.00 each but the supplier I used was selling at $22.50 each and that's why I went ahead and purchased two spares.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice&Billis View Post
Just finished ordering four replacements this evening from:

Not my first time to replace one and I think these are priced reasonably. I also made online contact with the original manufacturer but never got a reply nor did I see my model in their online catalog so I went with the former. As I recall back in 2006, the case on the original had not been sealed and was full of water and it shorted out the LED's.

Hi, my original lights were slowly going bad. I bought what looks like what you bought and with pigtails. These lights have already out lasted the factory ones about three times. And still no problems. At the time that I bought mine on line, they were about $19.00 each.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote