Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
... prob. 15 minutes of running the whacka,whacka,whacka diesel in the campground at night.
I'm still trying to figure out why your "whacka, whacka" is so much quieter than the "whacka, whacka" on my very same model. So if you think you're self-conscious, think about me about 9 db louder.

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why your "whacka, whacka" is so much quieter than the "whacka, whacka" on my very same model. So if you think you're self-conscious, think about me about 9 db louder.

Zep
California 199[67] Powerstrokes got the "split-shot" injectors.

How the PowerStroke injection system works

These are quieter than the single shots; everyone uses multiple injection pulses now.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
anyone get a line on the backup cameras?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
'73 Safari Progress

The tail lights on the '73 are a lot different than the '77. The '73 has the round "can" lights and access to the inside of the tail light fixture is a bit more difficult (in order to install an LED that points to the side).

I solved this by putting an LED in the bottom of the rear marker light casting. It took some time to figure this out--I originally wanted to cant the LED outwards about 45 degrees, but finally realized that the wide beam on the LED would do fine, even if it was pointing straight down. A 9/16" hole, suitable chamfered on the outer edge, works great. A very simple 90 degree piece of sheet metal holds the LED in place and acts as a heat sink.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1047 fixtures.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	182131 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1049 bracket.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	182132

Name:	DSCN1048 LED view.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	182133
Bot the rear end backup light and theis side-pointing one have 8 ohm resistors in series (both resistors in the tail can), which results in 450 ma current, about 5W.

Name:	DSCN1050 lens.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	182134

The tail can lens is 3/32 acrylic, available at HD, which provides a 3/4" dome so the LED can peek sideways a bit. The lens was masked and sanded on the inside, then spray painted to conceal some of the guts. The size of the installation hole for the side- and down-pointing LED is small, which makes a lens a problem. The fact that the lens would be a perfect cup in case of leaks is also a problem. I'll fill the hole with clear epoxy, which will protect the LED from road spray. The casting will be sealed to the shell with Vulkem.

Note: The casting at the back of the '77 is completely different. The '73's is horizontal and has a marker light, the '77's is vertical and only has a reflector. If you plan to do something like the above, study your tail light assembly and casting to make sure the side-pointing LED has a home.

Zep
Old 03-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Zep,

All this stuff is great inspiration. Backup lights aren't really my thing -- I don't have the ones on the trailer connected to anything -- but I'm noting the plastic forming techniques, especially, for future reference.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Bot the rear end backup light and theis side-pointing one ...
OK, which one of you moderators is sneaking in an screwing with my typing?
Z
Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Lightbulb

On my SOB motorhome, I put supplemental reverse lights on the bumper, and in the wheel wells front and rear pointing backward. Really helpful when backing and turning in the dark; I backed it with a 102X16' trailer into a parking slot between rows of cars 1 foot on each side, always late Sunday night.

I had these lights isolated from the halogen reverse lights (I made this setup years ago when the 10w LEDs were a deal at $45 each) using shottkey diodes of sufficient current capacity, so they could be switched on along with the "bright" level of the porchlight. Really handy when making or breaking camp after dark.

Something else I never got around to, but will on my newer SOB, is reverse lights at roof level, for backing into unfamiliar campsites at night. Like George of the Jungle, WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE! I remember backing into a spot with plenty of ground level lighting, including two flashlights at the rear corners of the camp spot. I was able to deftly maneuver around ground level obstacles, then luckily heard light branches brushing against the back of the moho, so I got out and looked carefully to find I was inches from hitting a large limb up there!

On an airstream where you don't want to tamper with the shell, adding discreet white LEDs to the clearance lamps is one possibility, though it won't give the best illumination of approaching tree branches. I was thinking about LEDs on the A/C cover, or an existing vent etc, shining backward at roof level from the middle, rather than the very back, to light up potentially damaging high obstacles likely to be encountered at campsites.

I also had blue LED undercarriage lighting on that motorhome, but that's another thread.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote