Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Jackson , Georgia
Question about LED clearance lights

Hi! We just bought a 71 Landyacht Safari. I am currently stripping the clear coat so I can polish her. I removed all the clearance lights and want to replace them with LED. The five in the rear had two wires coming out and the five in the front had a single wire coming out. Do I need to purchase special lights or what do I need to do with the extra wire in the back ones?

Old 08-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I purchase my lights from Dan @ led4rv.com. These also only had one wire. In my case i just put heatshrink on the ground with a piece of fishing line attached and pushed it back inside. As for the hot wire I cut the connector off and then soldered both wires together as well as heat shrink. This worked very well and I did not have any issues when i towed 1100 miles to GA and back.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Jackson , Georgia
Thanks! I will give that a try
Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Same here. I replaced all 10 clearance lights (5 orange and 5 red) with LED clearance lights from Dan at led4rv.com and I installed them this past weekend on my '71 Safari. Installed them with no problems. Dan was great to work with as always.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The end cap may not be grounded that is why the second wire. If that is the case you will have to get 2 wire LEDs for the cap. Single wire LEDs will work on the sides.

This is where I got mine they are 16 lamp fixtures.
Double Bulls Eye Amber High Count 16 LED lamp - led truck lights, led trailer lights, led clearance lights, led marker lights

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Just my .02

Know what every wire is for. Don't guess or "assume". Test them with test lights or multi-meters. Watch for grommet replacement opportunities. The grommets are super important. I've often thought of starting a grommet club to honor those hidden little servants.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question i have a 1975 argosy and in the process of remolding it , but once purchased and a few time there after , when i plug in the 7way to my brand new f150 the lights on the argosy would come on , but a few times i had to move the 7 wat on the trailer around a bit and the lights would come on .
Now today i hooked the 7 way to my truck the lights on the trailer did come on--------------- but went out and can not get them to come back on ------do you think the 7 way on the trailer may be bad??????
Need help any one .
Thank you
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First I would take an emery board and clean all the contacts on both the male and female side of the plug.

If that doesn't work you may have to open the plug and receptacle and check the wires and their connections. Those connection are poor at best and often open or the wire brakes at the connection. The marker lights wire is a smaller wire and not as apt to fail as the power or brake wires but you have to look to be sure.

After connecting the wires with the screws I like to solder them in place as insurance.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
Question i have a 1975 argosy and in the process of remolding it , but once purchased and a few time there after , when i plug in the 7way to my brand new f150 the lights on the argosy would come on , but a few times i had to move the 7 wat on the trailer around a bit and the lights would come on .
Now today i hooked the 7 way to my truck the lights on the trailer did come on--------------- but went out and can not get them to come back on ------do you think the 7 way on the trailer may be bad??????
Need help any one .
Thank you
The tow vehicle is easy to check with a 7-way plug tester. If that's good, the cord is easy to test with a lighted jumper. If both the tow vehicle is working right and the cord is good, there's only one more thing it could be. The trailer 7-way is easy for two people to check with a 7-way plug tester and a small battery charger.

I first checked my trailer wires to be sure everything worked on the trailer. My tail lights didn't work on the trailer and I had to remedy that before I could move on. Then I wired the trailer 7-way with the 7-way plug tester plugged in. When I installed my new umbilical connection cord, I had two wires switched. That was easy to detect. Everything worked . . . just wrong.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post

After connecting the wires with the screws I like to solder them in place as insurance.

I've been using solder splices from Tyco Electronics called "Raychem Soldergrip Heat-Shrink Butt Splices" that are available from Amazon, HD and Ace Hardware. they work really well!

Amazon.com: Tyco #CPGI-CWT-9002-15 22-18 Solder Splice: Home Improvement

Tyco Electronics (Alr) CPGCWT-9002-15 Soldergrip Buttsplc22-18

Tyco Electronics SolderGrip Heat-Shrink/Solder Multiple Wire Butt Splices, 22-18, 15/Clam - CPGI-CWT-9002-15 at The Home Depot

walking through HD the other day I noticed that they've expanded their inventory from splices to terminals and disconnects, etc.

I suspect you'd also find them at MCM, Newark, or Mouser....

best,

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote