Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Oregon , Wisconsin
Question Problem Running Lights

I replaced what appears to be the original 7-pin round plug on my '67 Trade Wind with a new plug and was able to get everything working except the running lights. I started at the front and checked each of the 5 original, amber marker lights. One of them was working. I cleaned the connections with emery paper and was able to get all of them functioning. They will go out if moved, but at least there is power. The 5 red, original marker lights and the tail lights (running lights) are dead. I used an automotive volt meter and there is no power. Any ideas?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #2

1979 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Georgia
I am actually in a similar situation, but do not know if any of the marker lights work. Additionally, the back up lights do not work on the Airstream. Have you had any luck fixing your issue yet?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm in a similar situation with following the previous owner's work. I had a dead short in my tail light circuit. I never found it, but I eliminated it by removing all the clearance lights and by removing all the tail light bulbs. After I had everything removed, I checked the circuit and it was open. Now I've replaced all the clearance lights with LED lights, soldered all the connections, and replaced all the fixtures with stainless steel screws and it all works.

I also removed all the connections from the 7 way plug inside the trailer. I'll re-do that from scratch.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If any of the amber lights worked after you installed the new plug you have power to the trailer.

That said you should check for power on the wire to each parking light. If you have power on the wire the socket of the light has more than likely relaxed it's spring or has dirty contacts in that light.

If you have power it is a lot easier to install LED lights that to attempt to repair those old incandescent ones.

As for the tail lights you may have to replace the sockets since cleaning them is not that easy.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I have found that leaving them submerged overnight in vinegar removed all rust and crud from my tail lights without affecting the reflectors.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Oregon , Wisconsin
At least on my AS, there are two separate wires that connect to the pigtail at the access panel. With the tow vehicle hooked up and the running lights on I was able to determine that one wire fed the five front amber marker lights. I am confident that the other wire fed the rear markers, tail lights and license plate light, but power did not reach any of the lights and it wasn't a ground problem and I figured it was probably severed.

There are several ways to get a new wire from front to back to feed the running lights, but the easiest way was to use the backup lights wire. I disconnected the dead running lights wire at the pigtail so it wouldn't draw current, and then disconnected the backup lights wire then reconnected it to the good running lights. I turned on the running lights to make sure the backup lights came on with the running lights. I then removed the right backup light to get at the wire and disconnected it before the split to the left backup light. I ran the feed wire out through an existing slot in the door frame and connected a length of new wire. I drilled a hole in the frame of the rear compartment, right below the right taillight. I removed the right taillight and fished the new wire up to the box and wired it in. I didn't want to waste the backup lights so I wired them to the switch that controlled the light for the service compartment. Three of the five rear marker lights were not functioning due to fouled contacts and grounds but I was able to clean them and get them working. Everything works now thanks to a tip from the service manager at Ewald's in Milwaukee. I had to rule out a lot of other possible reasons for the non-functioning running lights before doing what I described above. I hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
STemplton
I had kinda the same problems last yr with intermittent lights and some outages. What I found was that the marker lights were of 1977 vintage (33 yrs old )and the plastic was crumbling and they no longer maintained a ground.I went to my local Fruehuf (any semi-trailer dealer will do or supplier) dealer and purchased all new marker lites and lenses. Problem solved. I would suggest you find a good Chassis ground and check each line for each lite and make sure there is power there.
GOOD LUCK
Electricity is kinda tough cause ya cant see it.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Problem Running Lights

Something else to check is the umbilical cord junction box. When I had similar problems with my Overlander all of the problems were the result of corroded and loose connections in the junction box. I believe that the juntion box on most of the 1960 through 1968 coaches was in the front curbside corner of the bellypan concealed by a square or rectangular panel attached to the belly pan. I believe beginning sometime in the 1970s the junction box can be found behind the front lounge below the curbside windows.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
I bought one of these to rule out Tow Vehicle problems

Amazon.com: Innovative Products Of America 7893 7-Way Flat Pin Tractor Trailer…
Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question
i have a 1975 argosy and when hooking the 7 way to my new f150 had a little issue with the running lights , tail lights etc coming on but all i had to do was move the 7 way around a little bit and they all came on as well as the tail lights.
Now today i once agine hooked up the 7 way to the f150 the lights came on for a min and went out and i once again wiggled the 7 way as befofe to get the lights running again and i could not get them to come on the tail lights , running lights.
Do you think the 7 way could be bad???????? It is a 1975
need help any one
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Problem Running Lights

Greetings Gosman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosman View Post
Question
i have a 1975 argosy and when hooking the 7 way to my new f150 had a little issue with the running lights , tail lights etc coming on but all i had to do was move the 7 way around a little bit and they all came on as well as the tail lights.
Now today i once agine hooked up the 7 way to the f150 the lights came on for a min and went out and i once again wiggled the 7 way as befofe to get the lights running again and i could not get them to come on the tail lights , running lights.
Do you think the 7 way could be bad???????? It is a 1975
need help any one
You don't mention the year of your tow vehicle, but if it is a comparatively late model truck, wiggling the connector may have been enough to blow the fuse for the trailer receptacle. On my 1999 Suburban, that fuse is under the hood in a junction box just over the steering column.

Another possibility is that the contacts in the trailer end of the connector that the wiggling isn't cleaning the contacts enough. After nearly 15 years of battling the modern blade-type connector, I finally switched both my tow vehicle and trailer over to the round-pin connectors that are much heavier - - and according to my experience of the last two years are much less prone to problems resulting from corrossion.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: To counteract the usual argument that you limit your option for an emergency tow, I carry an adapter in the trailer that allows it to be towed by a tow vehicle with the blade-type connector. I also carry a connector in my tow vehicle that allows it to tow a trailer with the modern blade type connector.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Only light working is r/s trun siginal

My 1975 ARGOSY IS BEING TOWED BY A BRAND NEW 2010 FORD F150 AND THE FEW TIMES I HAVE CONNECTED THE TRAILER WIRE TO THE 7 WAY ON THE TRUCK , I HAD TO WIGGLE IT AND ALL THE RUNNING LIGHTS AS WELL AS THE STOP , TURN SIGINAL LIGHTS ALL WORKED ,

NOW THE LAST TIME I HOOKED THE WIRE FROM THE TRAILER TO THE FORD F150 THE RUNNING LIGHTS BLINKED AND WENT OUT AND NEVER DID COME BACK ON, EVEN WITH A WIGGLE OF THE CABLE AND 7 WAY CONNECTOR.
BUT THE RT. TURN SIGNAL WORKS
BUT NOTHING ELSE RUNNING LIGHTS LEFT SIDE TURN SIGNAL , STOP LIGHTS ETC ????????

NOW AS ALL WAYS MY REVERSE LIGHTS ON MY NEW FORD F-150 COMES ON WHEN I CONNECT TO THE TRAILER .

SHOULD I JUST REPLACE THE WHOLE CABLE WITH NEW 7 WAY ????AND MATCH THE WIRES TO THE TRUCK .DO YOU FEEL THAT IS MY PROBLEM THE CABLE IS 35 YEARS OLD , BUT WITH A FEW FOLKS OVR THE YEARS SPLICING WIRE.

I DID REMOVE THE OLD 1975 7 WAY AND HAVE NOTICED NOT ALL THE WIRES ARE ON ALL THE CONNECTORS IN THE 7 WAY , NOT SURE HOW IT WAS WIRED , A FEW FOLKS OVER THE PAST 35 YEARS HAVE PLAYED WITH THE WIRING .
BUT THE ISSUE ALL WAS WORKING
AND NOW ONLY THE RT/SIDE TURN SINGAL .

I AM NEW TO THE AIR STREAM FAMILY AND NEED HELP ANY ONE
PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The 7 wires are #1. 12 volt power, #2 ground, #3 brakes, #4 right signal/stop, #5 left signal/stop, #6 tail/running lights, #7 back up lights.

The only one that could be missing for all the exterior lights and the brakes to work would be the 12 volt power line. The other 6 must be hooked up to work. Unless this is one of them magic trailers.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
Gosman, did you get the wiring issue resolved? I am having a similar issue... 1990 25' Excella w/2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel TV.