Old 06-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Thumbs up Porch light cleaning

How do I disassemble the light over my entry door? Looks like mildew on the inside of the lens. I appreciate the inside info... quick look did not give me any clues as to how this opens.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
How do I disassemble the light over my entry door? Looks like mildew on the inside of the lens. I appreciate the inside info... quick look did not give me any clues as to how this opens.
Glen, first, welcome to the forums!
Your porch light should have two phillips screws holding the lens in place just above the doorframe. Remove these, and the lens should drop out of the hole. Clean, and re-install. A piece of cake. The entire housing does not need to come off. A friend has a 28' motor home sitting in my driveway, and that is how his comes out.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
That's exactly right. Two philips screws hold the lens on. You may have to work the lens a little to get it down. After you get everything cleaned out and a new bulb installed consider cutting a new lens from plexiglass. I am going to put a clear one in so the light has more power, I put a new clouded lens in but it is to dull.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Good question, as I have the same problem and am actually tackling that today. I see two screws holding the metal housing on. I plan to unscrew those and hopefully the lens comes out. It looks like a plastic one to me. I'll post a pic later.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
thanks!!

I found the screws this a.m. before I read the post but thanks for the replies folks. These fixes should all be so easy!!
Now if tightening up the alternator belt was just as easy my morning would have been less stressful.
Thanks again... I'm looking forward to bringing this old gal into my everyday working world as a rolling showroom and personal use vehicle.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
I was able to undo and remove the entire porch light fixture from my '72 International, but now I can't get anything to work! The switch on the inside next to the door broke off at its connectionszand I'm ready to put in a new one, but I don't understand the wiring at all. Nothing seems to provide juice to the light--and there are 3 wires, a yellow/green, white, and brown wire, to deal with from the switch hole! One of the wires (green) is 12V positive and shorts directly when touched to the white wire. It does nothing when touched to the brown. The two wires connecting to the light outside are black and white, and the white is the ground. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Brach
I was able to undo and remove the entire porch light fixture from my '72 International, but now I can't get anything to work! The switch on the inside next to the door broke off at its connectionszand I'm ready to put in a new one, but I don't understand the wiring at all. Nothing seems to provide juice to the light--and there are 3 wires, a yellow/green, white, and brown wire, to deal with from the switch hole! One of the wires (green) is 12V positive and shorts directly when touched to the white wire. It does nothing when touched to the brown. The two wires connecting to the light outside are black and white, and the white is the ground. What am I doing wrong?
Are you sure you are looking at the correct switch? My 75 Trade Wind has two switches inside the door. One is for the porch light and the other is for the light over the sink. The sink light would have the three wires since it is wired as a 3 way with the switch on the sink light.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Which switch?

In my AS, the sink overhead light is right next to the fixture. The switch I'm talking about is a simple toggle switch on the right side of the doorway as you enter the trailer.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
There are several diferent switches used. One looks like a toggle but has a small roller inside that is used to make contact. If that roller has fallen out the switch will not operate. Could you post a picture of the switch?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
I can't figure out how to remove the lens of my over the door porch light since it doesn't have the screws mentioned above. I've tried to gently pry it out and squeeze it out but I am afraid of breaking it. Is there a trick to this or do you think this is a replacement? the lens itself is a white flexible plastic. Any advice to offer? thanks
Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cedartown , Georgia
well I guess I was expecting the screws to be on the plastic lens piece not underneath the whole porch light piece so I found them...thanks anyway