Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Overhead puck lights

My husband and I were reading about replacing the overhead puck lights with LED and he was doing some 'research' (not sure if I have that name right they are the recessed lights on the ceiling in the Safari 2008 SE.)

He was able to loosen the bulbs, but cannot get the bulbs tight again. The base it tight,but if you press on the bulb, it is loose. (starting to feel like I am married to Mr. Hutt, no offense intended, I am sure he is a delightful husband)

Any thoughts.

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
At least on my 2007 Safari SE, the overhead lights are halogen bulbs, with a G-4 two pin base. Calling it a base is a bit generous, since it really is just two wires that stick out from the glass of the bulb. Are you referring to those types of bulbs? Or are you referring to the glass cover that fits in the fixture?

If it is the bulb itself, you might try spreading the wires apart a bit, so that the spring force will keep them in their sockets. If it is the lens, there are dimples on the metal sides that can be adjusted to make them fit tighter.
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom View Post
My husband and I were reading about replacing the overhead puck lights with LED and he was doing some 'research' (not sure if I have that name right they are the recessed lights on the ceiling in the Safari 2008 SE.)

He was able to loosen the bulbs, but cannot get the bulbs tight again. The base it tight,but if you press on the bulb, it is loose. (starting to feel like I am married to Mr. Hutt, no offense intended, I am sure he is a delightful husband)

Any thoughts.

Diane
Diane,

One very important thing to remember when removing/replacing any halogen bulb, and especially the halogen G-4s it NOT TO TOUCH THEM WITH YOUR BARE FINGERS......... as your skin oils will burn thru the glass due to the very high burn temps of the halogens. Wear thin exam gloves, or better yet, convert your G-4 halogens to LEDs and never have to change them again!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Led

Looks like there's going to be a run on 'em after the AS Life ar-tickle.

One of our first Winter ta-do's.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
At least on my 2007 Safari SE, the overhead lights are halogen bulbs, with a G-4 two pin base. Calling it a base is a bit generous, since it really is just two wires that stick out from the glass of the bulb. Are you referring to those types of bulbs? Or are you referring to the glass cover that fits in the fixture?

If it is the bulb itself, you might try spreading the wires apart a bit, so that the spring force will keep them in their sockets. If it is the lens, there are dimples on the metal sides that can be adjusted to make them fit tighter.
These are the lights on the ceiling, there are quite a few of them. Not sure now if they are halogen bulbs or not. In the AS manual it says they bulb is an 1141, which I thought was a incandesent bulb.

Anyway, it is the lense that is loose. The book says to squeeze the middle, but the middle is the lense itself. The lens is still held by the metal sides, but the lenses are loose now. There are no dimples on the metal sides. And we have no idea how to change the bulbs, when that time comes.

Diane
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Diane...I think you are reading instructions for the cover of the larger ceiling lights, probably over the sink, dinette (if you have one), over the sink, and in the bathroom...those are incandescent lights...and you remove the plastic light covers by squeezing the sides of the covers to release the notches holding them in place.

However, the inset puck lights in the ceiling have halogen bulbs and have round glass lenses. You remove the lens to access the bulbs by gently prying open the inner-most silver ring (the one next the to the glass lens)...use a sharp knife to get under the edge of it, but be careful not to scratch the surrounding metal...this ring holds the lens in place...the ring and lens pops out, but be careful removing it so the lens does not fall, as it could break. You can remove and replace the bulb using either a new halogen bulb or a replacement LED bulb..then replace the lense and ring, being sure to align the notches on the interior side of the ring with cross-brackets of the interior of the fixture...once those are aligned, just pop it back in..it is held by tension. The glass lens just rests inside that ring and may have a little play to it, but that's OK...as long as the ring is on tight and is flush with the rest of the light fixture.

Good luck! BTW, we are replacing most of the halogen bulbs with LEDs...they are on their way to us, and we can't wait to see how they look/operate! Lew (Lewster) can help you with the bulb replacements if you ask him...he coached us...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
my overhead light is now on

Thanks TB, now my overhead light is finally turning on. I am sure you are right, my husband was reading about the lights over the dinette and sink, not the ceiling light.

I would love to hear how you make out with the LED lights. I think we will do that also, if you have good results. We often do not have electric hook up, and even though we have two honda 2000's, we try to conserve power as much as we can. I also would think the LED's would not generate as much heat.

Thanks again,

Diane
Old 09-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:

Thanks TB, now my overhead light is finally turning on. I am sure you are right, my husband was reading about the lights over the dinette and sink, not the ceiling light.

I would love to hear how you make out with the LED lights. I think we will do that also, if you have good results. We often do not have electric hook up, and even though we have two honda 2000's, we try to conserve power as much as we can. I also would think the LED's would not generate as much heat.

Thanks again,

Diane
Diane... Good...glad it helped...I'm hoping the LED lights arrive today...they are supposed to put out about 60% of the light that the halogens do. We have always thought those halogen lights are too bright...like landing strip lights! So we are hoping to soften it some using LEDs...and you're right, the heat the halogen bulbs generate is incredible... And of course, there is the energy savings...we are looking to start dry camping more so switching to the LEDs will be a huge benefit there... I will let you know how it turns out and what we think...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 09-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Interesting

Quote:

I would love to hear how you make out with the LED lights.
So would I, are these the much sought after "pucker up lights"?

( devil made me do it )

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
TB, have you installed the LED lights yet?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
TB, have you installed the LED lights yet?
We have! We opted for the cool LEDs rather than the warm ones... The LEDs are softer, not as bright and put out very little heat...we are impressed. It takes a little getting used to the cool light when you've been used to the bright warm light of the halogens, but we are adjusting and we like them. Cool vs warm is a matter of preference...we had seen an LED light that was warm and we found it too "yellow". The cool LEDs are really white light. We are on our very first camping trip (even as I type) since the new LEDs arrived...and so far we are quite pleased. We have hookups, se we are not testing their reduced draw on the batteries yet, but it will be substantial. We only replaced the front half of our Bambi's interior overhead lights (7 overhead forward lights) for now, but I'm sure we will do the rest at some point soon...it was a good way for us to contras tthe two. Remember, the LEDs are not as bright as the halogens, but we find them easier on the eyes and there is plenty of light. We replaced the halogens in our spot reading lights as well, and they are plenty bright enough to read by, etc.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
If this info is in the thread, I missed it and I apologize...

Where did you get the LED replacement bulbs?
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We have! We opted for the cool LEDs rather than the warm ones... The LEDs are softer, not as bright and put out very little heat...we are impressed.
We'd like to replace the 1141s over the sink, as well as some of the ceiling bulbs. In looking at some of the order houses, it would help to know the parts numbers for these bulbs. Can you help?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Got ours at:

SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home

They have a list of replacement LED's. They really make a difference.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote