Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Original ceiling lights - '78 Ambassador

Finally got the sticky gunk from ceiling and all the interior surfaces - saw much advice on the forum for the proper cleaner - simple green, 409 etc. but decided that Teenage Boy was best.
Now time to put the lighting back in. The originals are these:

They cover the original vents and accommodate the vent cranks:

In all my perusing of the forums I have not seen this fixture.
All three are cracked/brittle an warped. Also it seems that they block an unnecessarily large amount of the vent area. I do like the three way switches - it allows 2/4/6 lamps on - I am off-grid so I can use the ugly LEDs in the 2 bulb positions for low current, then the old school incandescents for lots o light when I got the power.
So what are people doing about replacements?
The covers (not shown) are obviously replacements as they look new.
Thanks,

- Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4749.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	147633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4750.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	147634  

mojofilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
Did you rebuild the original lights? I have the same lights in my '80 Excella. Haven't worried about the lights not working as have extra lights, but going to have to rebuild sometime soon. Let me know what you find out as it will save me hunting down this thread
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverrat6270 View Post
Did you rebuild the original lights? I have the same lights in my '80 Excella. Haven't worried about the lights not working as have extra lights, but going to have to rebuild sometime soon. Let me know what you find out as it will save me hunting down this thread
Most any 12 volt light socket that has one terminal can be used.

The correct switches are still available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
My problem is that the plastic bases have deteriorated to the point that they will be unusable. I guess I could fabricate a new base out of sheet aluminum and transfer the six single-wire sockets and switch (all of which still work) to the base, but if there was already something out there that would work, it would be better.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojofilter View Post
My problem is that the plastic bases have deteriorated to the point that they will be unusable. I guess I could fabricate a new base out of sheet aluminum and transfer the six single-wire sockets and switch (all of which still work) to the base, but if there was already something out there that would work, it would be better.
I was not aware that some of those bases were plastic.

Yes, you can fab them with thin aluminum, or even galvanized if you wish.

Transfering the sockets etc, then becomes a piece of cake.

Airstream did have some, but their price was several steps above ridiculus.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
When I replaced my living room vent with a Fantastic vent and my bedroom vent with a standard roof vent, solid aluminum lid topped with a MaxxAir fan, I didn't want to lose light fixtures in those areas.

What I did was install a rather generic light fixture next to each vent. See the attached photo. The original circuit powers both fan and light. Really old school fixtures but they match an original one in the hallway. Also, with only one bulb on they are super bright so I'd consider them boondocking friendly.

On a side note, the original lid on my living room vent had a cutout in the center that was covered with a yellowed piece of plastic and may have worked as a skylight at one time, though there was a fan in that vent which blocked most light. I rebuilt that lid with clear lexan panels, it is actually double pane, and installed that on my one remaining original vent/light combo that is in the galley. It doesn't let in a whole lot of light, but is a noticable improvement. It might be a good modification to consider. Sorry but I couldn't find a photo of that modified lid.

Christopher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28 Finished at last.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	571.3 KB
ID:	147644  
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks - that looks like a nice job.
My forward vent/fan also had the yellowed plastic 'skylite', but as you say, the fan blocked most of the light. I replaced it with aluminum panel.