Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
no rear running lights

I have a 1968 30' Sovereign. When I turn on the TV lights, my clearence lights work, but my rear running lights are not working. All of my other lights work. Where would be the first place to look for a problem? Has anyone else had this problem?
watt1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Check the bulbs, they could be blown. Also check grounds for the taillights. The taillight sockets could be rusted, and won't give contact for the bulbs to ground.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
just to echo what overlander63 said, and also check to make sure the spring isn't fully compressed holding the contacts down belowthe bulb. Sometimes the rust can keep those from moving freely, and when the bulb is pressed in hard enough to rotate the pins, that little disc with the contacts doesn't come up again and hit the bottom contacts very well.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
just to echo what overlander63 said, and also check to make sure the spring isn't fully compressed holding the contacts down belowthe bulb. Sometimes the rust can keep those from moving freely, and when the bulb is pressed in hard enough to rotate the pins, that little disc with the contacts doesn't come up again and hit the bottom contacts very well.
ADD: Use grease on sockets I was going to say fuse but your top side running lights are working and there on same line. Also when you remove bulbs run a meter from the hot leads to see if you have power . Should do this since you have to take tail lights apart . If you have no power there it is something shorted from the fuse panel back to tail lights . Is it only the running lights not working back there or are the brake light's and blinkers not working either? If nothing works in the tail lights most likely a ground.

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We had lots of off-and-on problems with this until, thanks to the Airforums, I checked the main connections located under a small panel bottomside (well) forward of the cabin door. There, two greens lead to the two circuits for the marker and running lights. One of them had a poor connection. Renewed the connection, end of story.

Lynn
Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
by saying "rear running lights" are you indicating the tail lights or lights on top of the trailer?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Thanks everyone for your input. Sorry I have not gotten back with you before now - got busy.
I guess I was not very clear describing the rear light problem.
Both, the brake and turn signal lights work on both sides.
When I turn on the TV lights, the amber clearance lights work, but the three red lights near top on rear and the two red lights at the brake lights do not work.
Since reporting the first problem, I may have found another problem. There is power for the camper brakes at the tow vehical 7 pin connector all the time? This doesn't sound right. The brake controller is a Draw-Tite Activator II. When I hooked the camper up to troubleshoot my lighting issues, I did not look at the brake. Hopefully, the brake voltage I found will fix itself when I hook the camper back up (LOL). Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I believe that the break controller puts 12 volts on the break line to determine if the trailer is connected. Once it see the trailer (resistance) on hat line, it turns the 12 volts off.

Since your rear marker lights and tail lights are both not working, I would check the circuit where they attach to the connector inside of your trailer. There should be two wires at that point, one for the front marker lights and one for the rear.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Concord , New Hampshire
I have a 73 31' Excella and had the same problem:

Front clearance lights work, No rear clearance lights, or running lights in the tailight assemblies...

It took a bit, but I finally tracked it down to a broken wire in the ceiling about 10' back from the front of the trailer. I had to pull down the center panel in the ceiling to fix it. I could have jumpered around it, but I was afraid to leave an open wire "floating" around in the ceiling. It was a bit strange as it was the only wire broken out of the 30 or so wires in the bundle.
jjfitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Again, thanks everyone. I have opened the access panel under the belly where the umbilical attaches to the trailer wires. Nothing was obvious. Started raining. Has rained everyday since. It's suppose to be nice for the next couple days. But, I'm going camping. So this problem will have to wait till I get back.
I have ordered a new umbilical cord. When I get back from camping and the cord has arrived, I'll continue to investigate the problems. Thanks everyone for your help!