Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
No Lights on Shore Power - 2008 19ft Safari SE - HELP!!

I need some community expertise here and I'm hoping and praying this is an easy fix. Last October I purchased my first ever trailer, a 2008 19ft Safari SE, and took the wife and kiddies out once before winter set in, and no problems at all. A few weeks ago I plugged in the trailer into shore power as the lights were getting dim, and again, no problems. I went to check on things yesterday and again the lights were dim, but yet it is still plugged in. I checked the power source, made sure the cords were plugged in securely, checked the breaker in the house...all good. I then checked the breaker in the AS (including GFI), all good. I then checked the fuses and one of the 30AMP fuses had blown. Replaced it, blew again. Lights still dim. Went out to the battery box and checked the water level, ok. Then I hit the switch in the power hoist (I was curious to see if it had enough juice to lift it) and after about 5 seconds I heard a "beeeeeep" from (I think inside) the Airstream, and now no lights work. This was yesterday.
Today I removed the batteries, checked fuses in the fuse box (all good), the fuse in the hoist, the fuses under the dinette near the water pump, (good).....ugh!
So right now I have no batteries in it, hooked up to shore power, no lights, no fan, no heater, etc. The only thing that still has power are the plug outlets. What am I missing?

The "Grasshopper" has much to learn. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Your converter is not working. Check the 120 volt input to it.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Dead converter.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Some of the newer converters won't initiate a charge of the battery if the battery voltage is too low. Before condemning the converter, check the battery voltage, and you may have to hook up the tow vehicle or a battery charger for a few minutes to get the voltage up to a point the converter will take over.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the converter is one of those cheap World Freedom ones from China do not replace it with another of the same brand. They last about a year.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
get a good one

We switched to Intellipower 9260 (I think your size might be a 9245?) for our 2005 Airstream. It has been great, bought it from Camping World on deep sale last summer for $160. Did the install following very nice info guide from here, found this info at Best Converter website.

Our first Parallax died at just under two years -- we had 10.3 volts to the 12vdc outlets. Airstream replaced it under warranty, of course. Our second Parallax was less than two years old when we replaced it to gain true multi-stage battery maintenance with anti-sulfating. The second parallax was burning up its components, smoke residue and a charred resistor.

The Intellipower was easy to install although I spent better part of three hours doing it very slowly and carefully to get it exactly the way I wanted. Eight months later, it is far superior to the Parallax for our purposes.

First, it is so quiet you hardly know when the fan is on. You can feel the heat a little, that's the only clue the fan is pushing any air. Second, it has a faster charge rate when the batteries are low, then tapers off to finish them, has a trickle rate and has a float mode too.

We, and friends of ours, had our batteries fried while under control of the oem charger/converters. I have heard of no one having this occur from an Intellipower.

Nothing in this post is intended to be, or expected to be found, misleading to any reader.

So, if I was replacing my converter/charger and could get a good deal on one, I would for sure buy an Intellipower again.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Thanks for the replies. I knew I could count on the fine folks here. I am currently (no pun intended) charging the batteries and will try them out before condemning the converter. I believe this is still under warranty, but it might be a challenge to get my local AS dealer to work on it as I purchased this in US of A rather than the Great White North.
Let's hope this works.....I'll update when I get a chance.
Thanks again for all the help.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Consider your options before you take it in for warranty work. If the converter is a wall mounted type Airstream will most likely want to replace it with the same type because of ease of installation. That may preclude you getting a good converter. I would contact IntelliPower and see if they have a direct replacement, witch I doubt, and consider how to replace the current one with something that will work for more than a year.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
...yes, Grasshoppah, all tow-daddies must engage brain-pan to utmost mental capability...guidance to be found in many places:

Books

;-) rick (old enough to remember "Kung Fu" ;-)
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
update

Thanks all. Here is the update. Before totally condemning the converter, I charged the batteries, reset the breakers, new fuse, unplugged shore power and turned the battery switch to "on". All is well, lights works again, power hitch works, the angels sing. I turn the battery switch to "store", turn breakers off, plug in trailer to shore power, start to turn on breakers, POOF! There goes the left 30 amp fuse again. (Satan and his minions are smiling at this point. "GRRRR" says Moses!)

Soooo, is this a case of "Hey Mo, yup, converter is fried like most of Col. Sanders dinners..and lunches...and probably even his breakfasts'" or is it a "Hey Mo, the fuse blowing is from (insert intelligent response here), so should check it out when you're Canadian butt finally thaws out sometime in August"?