Old 07-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
No Lights in Rear Bath All of the Sudden

Hey, oddest thing just happened. I was playing around in my new old airstream. 78 31' Excella and I was checking out the closets in the back and the tiny lights that are in there. As I closed the door, I think it was as I closed the door, the overhead lights in the bath went out, and now those nor the lights in the mirror area over the sink won't come on. The lights in the closet still work. The little night light in the bathroom under the mirrors still works, but not the others. The fan in the fixture still works when I raise the vent though. Any ideas? I am clueless on electrical problems. I am a computer guru. I still have my Excella Service Manual and read all thru there. I have a 12V fuse box in the front, and right next to that there is a little white box with 1 fuse in it. All are good. My 120 V circuit breaker panel in the back has no thrown breakers. Please help me. I'm worried about a short or a possible electrical fire if I don't resolve the problem.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
I had a similar problem and found a loose connection in some wiring in the street side closet. Luckily the wiring was visible and I was able to trace it out rather easily. Although it may seem intimidating, it's just a matter of tracing the wiring to the point where you're losing power. You will need an electrical meter of some sort though.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
check your fuses, at the power converter.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
Power Converter? Is that the univolt?

Sorry for my ignorance on electrical, but all I know I have for sure is a 120V circuit breaker in the back with no thrown breakers. I have a 12V fuse box in the very front under my table. There is another fuse box with only 1 fuse in it on the curbside. Then under those 2, in its own box is what I think is the univolt which when close to it and with the cover off, it buzzes a little. Where is a power converter? If it is the univolt underneath, it's quite warm to the touch and in looking at it with a flashlight it doesn't look like it has any fuses.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The buzzing box is the Univolt, all right. Now, my Univolt is older than yours, so while it may be different, they all seem to look much the same: a blue box that hums, and which has a little door in the front.

Pull open the door, and you should see a number of fuses. On my unit, fuse number 2 is the rear bathroom and sleeping area.

Maybe the socket is dirty or loose, of perhaps it's blown.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
Univolt

I guess mine sits down in a hole and I can't see the door. All I can see is the top which has no handle and it fits quite snugly in the box. My 31 footer is a side sofa with the table in the front. I will try and pull it up to find a door but I am going to have to wait until it cools down today. It's 108 outside and I would imagine I have to unplug for safety. No A/C today would kill me.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Whoa, I was wrong: I happen to have a 1977 Service Manual, and it shows a different story. Now again, this may not be your exact model, but it does show the Univolt and a seperate "Remote Fuse Panel" both to be dead centre up front, under the front window somewhere.

Here's a page from the manual describing the fuse panel. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
checked the fuses described below

Hello Again, Ok, the steps I've taken are as follows.

1. Checked fuses in this 12V Distribution Panel, specifically focusing on those labeled 6,7,8,9, and 10. All were fine. I wish I could know which one specifically was going to the back bathroom area, as they are very difficult to get to.

2. Took of the light/fan cover to check wiring, all seems fine.

3. Doublechecked the 120V circuit breaker. Threw them all off and back on, and still nothing in the back bathroom.

Central Vac still works and night light still works. Closet lights still work, but no overhead lights or lights around the mirrors. Do even know where to go next for a problem.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jabreyd13, got your email, but you've obviously gone past the point you were at in your question there.

By the way, central vac: must be nice!

So, too busy to scan the electrical schematic, but the compartment lights and those in the bathroom are on the same wire as in my '74 Sovereign: the purple wire (assuming you have the rear bath model) which is circuit #1 in your trailer.

The ceiling vent and light are on the yellow wire (circuit #2).

Hope you have a meter, any of the connections could be loose, corroded, or broken.

Anyway, keep looking at the purple wire, tracing it, double-checking all connections. The connections, by the way, are merely twisted wires held together with wire nuts, so in a damp environment like a bathroom, this makes them suspect, in my book at least.

You could also check the switches connected to all the lights, one or more of them could be shorted or open.

Oh, and test the fuse by either replacing it or check continuity on a meter, by the way. Looks can be deceiving.

It's not magic, just a brain twister.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
Pictures of my 12V fuse box and more

Yes, thank god for the central vac, so when I am taking apart my light vents, I can vacuum out all the crap in the roof... wow.

Anyway, I've attached a picture of the 12V box, and then a close up of the 5 circuits I am testing, which according to my volt meter all seem to be fine. These have obviously been modified at some point in the past to a different type of fuse holding circuit. (seen em before and don't know what they are called). Someone also added a 10amp fuse going to who knows what at the bottom. Other than that it looks pretty close to what you attached above.

By the way, when I removed the purple fuse, nothing happened that I could tell. Then I noticed the yellow fuse was warm, and when I removed that the night light in the bathroom went out, and came back on when re-inserted.

When I took the light fixture off the ceiling I found 2 wires, one blue and one white coming out of the roof and going into the fixture. These two wires have nothing when I check them with the volt meter. They look identical to the two wires going to each of my closet lights in the bathroom which seems a little strange. My fan on my vent works no matter what, fuses in, fuses out, fuses, fuses all about. When I crank her open she works, but then again there is one red wire going to it all by itself.

Would the blue and white wires only work if the switch inside the light is requiring power?

I'm wondering if the circle switch is messed up.

Then again, I am an amateur, but having fun learning none the less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	704.8 KB
ID:	83769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	596.8 KB
ID:	83770  

Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
By the way... 9 Volts?

When I am testing some of my lights around the trailer, I am only seeing 9volts, on 3 out of 3 I've tested. I am currently hooked up to a generator. Could my univolt be bad?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Univolt could be bad, but that you can test at the Univolt, or where it feeds into your distribution panel.

What is the voltage at the output of the generator?

Do you have a 12V battery installed in your trailer?

Could also be a bad (corroded) ground somewhere, or who knows what the heck the PO did to that panel. Looks like he may have burnt something out, then replaced all the right hand side fuse blocks with inline fuse holders. In my books, that's a big no-no. Who knows if they are rated to handle the current draw?

Are the purple and yellow wires going into those inline fuseholders, by the way?

Did you actually test the fuse that feeds the purple wire with your meter, or at least replace it? I've noticed that the fuses in mine get warm, too.

Methinks that perhaps the PO did some "custom" wiring. Oy vey...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Univolt could be bad, but that you can test at the Univolt, or where it feeds into your distribution panel.

What is the voltage at the output of the generator?

Do you have a 12V battery installed in your trailer?

Could also be a bad (corroded) ground somewhere, or who knows what the heck the PO did to that panel. Looks like he may have burnt something out, then replaced all the right hand side fuse blocks with inline fuse holders. In my books, that's a big no-no. Who knows if they are rated to handle the current draw?

Are the purple and yellow wires going into those inline fuseholders, by the way?

Did you actually test the fuse that feeds the purple wire with your meter, or at least replace it? I've noticed that the fuses in mine get warm, too.

Methinks that perhaps the PO did some "custom" wiring. Oy vey...

I have 122 volts from the generator at about 58 hertz.

I have 2 batteries in my trailer and they both work for a bit when I unplug. I probably need to check them, but didn't think they came into play at all when I was plugged into A/C power. My control panel in the trailer says that they are good, but I'm sure that is not dependable information.

Each one of those inline fuze holders is 20Amp. Both the purple and yellow wires are going to those fuse holders and both are getting about 9 volts on the side away from the univolt or the side going toward the trailer. I tested these both and replaced them both, as I had a box of fuses that came with the trailer. In hindsight, perhaps that should have clued me in that there have been power issues in the past. But, in my defense, I owned a newer 5th wheel trailer about 2 years ago and had fuse issues alot working out in the oilfield. Also, in my defense, the trailer looked so nice and shiny and new that I was blinded by beauty.

I've attached a pic of how the layout is in the front of my trailer, and also of the manual that I have with the trailer. Is this the SERVICE manual, or just the OWNERS manual? What all manuals are available
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	83775   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	83776  

Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, that is a nice looking interior! You have the owner's manual, by the way. The Service Manual gives a lot more repair info in terms of diagrams and disassembly/assembly procedures.

I think that the fact that you only have 9 volts on those two lines is suspicious, and bears more investigating. Obviously you have two choices: keep poking around in your wiring until you find where the fault is, or take it to a good RV repair place and let them do that for you.

The batteries have a smoothing effect on the output of the Univolt when they are in the circuit while you are plugged into shore power. Incidently, apart from the buzzing, the other downside to having a Univolt is that they have a tendancy to shorten the life of your batteries, since they don't have modern power management circuitry in their design.

If you still only get 9 volts on those two circuits when operating on battery-only power, then (assuming the battieries are good), your Univolt would appear to be operating properly.

Hey, I'm not a master electrician, just an amateur like you, and I'm experiencing the same problems as you in the rear bathroom, and haven't yet found all the solutions. But by just poking around and testing the circuits, I have found and repaired a couple of annoying faults and brought some of the lighting back on line.

Since for me the bathroom lighting isn't a really urgent issue, I'm just going to keep on looking until I find the fault. I just hope it isn't a short that's hidden somewhere behind a wall panel.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

Aage