Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Pacerized,

The yellow wire is from the brake controller to the electric brakes. The word stop on the brown and red wires means the brake lights.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
The 7 pin powers correctly when checked with my multi meter and the turn signals work fine when plugged to the tow vehicles. I would doubt if both tow vehicles would suddenly have the same problem at the same time after working fine for the past few years. The 7 pin plug has a specific wire for brake lights. If the turn signal wires are supposed to send power to the same bulb for the brake lights, what would the additional wire be for? I thought the wire coded as yellow on the picture below would be what would send the power from the tow vehicle to to all 4 1157 bulbs when the brake is hit. Am I not understanding how this works?

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Pacerized,

The yellow wire is from the brake controller to the electric brakes. The word stop on the brown and red wires means the brake lights.

Bill
Thanks for clarifying that. I'm now at a loss then. I get power at the 7 pin off the tow vehicles when I hit the brake. I get power from the 7 pin plug on the Airstream to the lights, and I get power from the fuse box to the lights. I'm going to retest from the 7 pin at the Airstream again because it did require a helper to tell me what was lighting up but I checked these myself from the fuse panel.
I still have the black wire from the umbilical going to the fuse panel that seems to do nothing when powered up. Since the yellow is for the backups on my system, do you think the black wire might be going to the brakes?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Upon checking the 7 pin plug at the umbilical cord again, I found that I did have some issues afterall. When I check from the fuse panel everything was o.k. I put on a new socket Mon. night but I coudn't open the old socket head to check the wiring. The diagram I posted above wasn't correct and nothing I found online was. I finally checked from the male plug on my truck using the multi meter. Everything seems to be working now. Cleaning the contract on the light sockets was also a big improvement and needed to be done, my lights have never been this bright since I've owned the Airstream.
We're off to the Redwoods Thurs.
Thanks for all the advise.
Charlie
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Charlie,

Fantastic, have a great time.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
Upon checking the 7 pin plug at the umbilical cord again, I found that I did have some issues afterall. When I check from the fuse panel everything was o.k. I put on a new socket Mon. night but I coudn't open the old socket head to check the wiring. The diagram I posted above wasn't correct and nothing I found online was. I finally checked from the male plug on my truck using the multi meter. Everything seems to be working now. Cleaning the contract on the light sockets was also a big improvement and needed to be done, my lights have never been this bright since I've owned the Airstream.
We're off to the Redwoods Thurs.
Thanks for all the advise.
Charlie

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote