Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
new clearance lights

We are going to replace the marker lights with these Grote Oval Marker Clearance

my questions are, if the holes from the old lights do not line up what do we do to the old holes? fill them in with vulkem or is there a better option?

If you notice from the picture there are holes on the sides of the base, the old lights do not have these holes. Are we supposed to fill in under the base with butyl putty/tape or vulkem, or are the holes meant to be left "open"?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I am seeing the square notches (holes) in the “top” and sides of the base. From this, I assume that they are drain holes and the photo is upside down, therefore they should remain open. I agree, I have never seen these either. None of the lights on either of mine have these.

Having said that, consider LED replacements. Not original, but generally more reliable. I have a set waiting to be installed on my Excella.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadydreame View Post
my questions are, if the holes from the old lights do not line up what do we do to the old holes?
If the holes don't line up and I quote "put a rivit in it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadydreame View Post
If you notice from the picture there are holes on the sides of the base, the old lights do not have these holes. Are we supposed to fill in under the base with butyl putty/tape or vulkem, or are the holes meant to be left "open"?
On mine I just put a dab of vulkem on the screw holes to keep them water tight.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
I just replaced all the marker light with the LED "double bulls" from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The mounting holes lined up perfectly and I just used gray butyl tape from Vintage Trailer Supply to form a bed that completely covered the back of the new LED light.

I needed to move the wires a about 3/8" so I drilled new holes in the skin and pulled the old wires through. I did not cover the old hole with anything... just the bed of butyl on the back of the light. It's survived a couple of good Oregon rains and no leaks.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I believe the holes around the white base are for drainage. If this were my project I would fill any holes in the skin with vulkem that are behind the light. I would also use vulkem on the mounting screws and around where the wire penetrates the skin. I you have any holes outside the new light then I would vulkem the hole and install an Olympic rivet.
I placed new Grote LED bullseye lights on my trailer to replace the old bullseye lights. The LED's look really nice but they are more $$. Just a little bling, bling factor I guess.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Led

I did LED replacements am am very happy with the added highway visibility. But then I upgraded all my lighting rather than restoring it. I guess it is a matter of which way you want to go.

I put vulkem around each hole and sort of thinly buttered the backs. I line of aluminum sealant around the top and side and that was about it.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Looking at the photo of the lamp it looks like there is an arrow embossed in the housing. Maybe they posted the photo upside down? Then the holes would be at the bottom and would offer drainage. I would caulk all holes in skin prior to mounting light and seal around the top and sides after install.
Al
Old 12-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
the holes are actually on the top bottom and each side. I guess they are for drainage my concern is just making sure no water gets in where the wire enters the skin. We did think about doing LED but really wanted to keep it original.