Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Need suggestions on Interior 12V Lighting.

The 4 way switch on one of my matching round ceiling lights in my '73 22' Argosy just broke. You would think with it being only 34 years old, these things would hold up better (just kidding).

Anyway, I am not married to the idea of staying with the original lighting, since they are banana yellow. However, I do like that they have 4 bulbs each and throw a lot of light. I do not want to switch to anything dimmer.

So if anybody has suggestions of alternate 12v ceiling lights that throw as much light as the old ones, or barring that, a place where I can get a four way switch to repair the old light.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Shawn,

Try the Thin-Lite #109C round 12Vdc flourescent lighting. I put that in my Minuet and I loved it! It also uses less energy and gives a better light output.
I got mine from Arizona Wind & Sun. Their price right now is $34.35 each. They have been the least expensive by far. Here is a direct link to the ThinLite on their site:
ThinLite 109C at Arizona Wind and Sun

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Shawn,

Try the Thin-Lite #109C round 12Vdc flourescent lighting. I put that in my Minuet and I loved it! It also uses less energy and gives a better light output.
I got mine from Arizona Wind & Sun. Their price right now is $34.35 each. They have been the least expensive by far. Here is a direct link to the ThinLite on their site:
ThinLite 109C at Arizona Wind and Sun

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the tip! I've been looking for two Thin-Lite #652 fluorescent lights. This vendor has them in stock and they are $15.00 cheaper (each) than anywhere else I've been looking. Just placed my order, should have my new fixtures by the end of next week.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Awesome light! Those are the ticket. I never knew a light like that was available.

Thanks Lou. Also, after sweltering at the rally, I put the A/C on the trailer- looks awesome.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Thin lights work very well

I changed all of my main lighting to 8 watt Thin lights and have been very happy with the results. I used an 8 watton each side of each fantastic vent and a third red/white in the front. I kept the original fixures for the sink light and for the dresser area. I put in a second switch on each and use a red LED board on the second switch and I use a stadand 1141 in one socket of the fixture and a white LED board on the the other. The bathroom has two 8w flourescents.

These all proved good light and use far less power. I also have a 12v plug in reading lamp with a gooseneck if I need more light. After that I would have to drag out my LED lanterns.

In any case, I am very happy with the flourescents.
I set my fixtures up for secondary red lighting for night work , actually it helps prevent night blindness from bright lights, which is handy for either using the telescope or getting out the nightscope for watching wildlife (may try that outside of the RV park some day! ).

I definately recomend the modern lights. Installation was not difficult either, though I did find out how far "out of sqaure" the vent locations were relative the the interior seems.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I just went ahead and pulled the switches apart, cleaned the contacts and buttoned everything back up....worked like a charm....good for another 37 years!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v