Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Tukwila , Washington
mystery lights

i am totally removing all the interior skin on my 73 land yacht

in the tail light housings, there is some sort of sensor or something, not related to the 1157 bulb
this mystery item is a copper ring pressed directly into the center of the housing for the tail light housing
then there is a rubber housing that the sensor lives in.

there is no ground,and appears to be some sort of resistance wire from the said sensor(thats all i can think that it is)
I've traced the wires and the 2 sensor wires don't apparently go to the trailer light plug.

any ideas as to what these are?
jerrypike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypike View Post
i am totally removing all the interior skin on my 73 land yacht

in the tail light housings, there is some sort of sensor or something, not related to the 1157 bulb
this mystery item is a copper ring pressed directly into the center of the housing for the tail light housing
then there is a rubber housing that the sensor lives in.

there is no ground,and appears to be some sort of resistance wire from the said sensor(thats all i can think that it is)
I've traced the wires and the 2 sensor wires don't apparently go to the trailer light plug.

any ideas as to what these are?
Welcome to the forums!

It would help to post a picture.

Are you sure it's a wire and not a fiber optic cable? I think some model years had fiber optics running from the tail lights to the front of the trailer so you could see in your rear view mirrors that the tail lights were working.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Pretty sure you're looking at the brake light/tail light indicator fiber optic cable that runs to the little rectangular piece on the front street side of your trailer. It lights up two little red lenses to let you see if your brake lights/turn signal/tail lights are working... At least that's what it is on my '74.

-Red, solving mysteries....
Old 01-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Same thing on my 78.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote