OK, I finally figured it out. So here is a little tidbit for those, who like me, that like to take the long way to a short solution. The bulb socket appeared to be fine on the outside so I (ass-u-me-d) that it was ok. However, after following all "common sense" attempts to fix I finally took the wiring out of the socket to find that the inside was rusted almost completely. Thus, after replacing the socket "vuala" it works. Thanks for all the helpful hints, and with those I am now a smarter electrician. Man I love these forums.
Member of the Four Corners Unit
The only true failure is the failure to try.