Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #1 the elements be free
2008 19' Safari
Coos Bay , Oregon
Moisture in LED Running Light

My 2008 Safari has serious moisture in one of the LED running lights.

There is (to me!) no readily apparent way to remove the lens for drying and possible sealing.

Any suggestions?

AerAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This is a fairly common problem.

A good fix as I know it is to put a small rubber "O" ring as a washer on the screw that tightens the lens down.

Talk to lewster here on the forum. He not only has the right size "O" ring, but also has the exact size and length stainless steel screws. Not sure on the 08s, but for years the screws would rust out. Since getting the rings and the screws from Lewster, my moisture in the lens area has been significantly diminished and in many cases, a complete non-issue. For the few lights that still had a slight amount of fog in them, I traced it back to the styrofoam like base that the lens sits on.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #3 the elements be free
2008 19' Safari
Coos Bay , Oregon

I read that thread. Problem is, the LED lens has NO screws and seems too ridgid to just squeeze and pop out.

Read in another thread that LEDs are sealed units. Could this be the case? If so, would probably have to replace the whole light....and hope it was dry from the factory!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #4 the elements be free
2008 19' Safari
Coos Bay , Oregon
OK, two years after the above post, the light finally blew. Apparently L.E.D.'s were first installed by Airstream in mid-2008 on "selected" models. Hence the lack of familiarity with them by the usual suspects when I first posted this issue and also the difficulty in locating a replacement or in understanding how the lights were constructed and attached.

I finally located replacements at Out of Doors Mart ( for $17.95 per each plus shipping. They had several photos of the light construction that were very helpful in determining how to remove and replace the unit.

A word of warning though: Airstream, contrary to all known experience with automotive electrical systems, apparently thought these lights were infallable and permanent and installed them accordingly. They are almost impossible to remove without destroying the tabs that hold the light to the base, so a retro-fit sealing is a dicey proposition. And you will find that slack wiring for attaching the new unit is buried in a glob of caulking.

The light itself is two-part construction with a base and lens. Leakage occurs where the base is attached to the lens. I recommend sealing the seam with a bead of "Seam-Grip" ("Shoe-Goo" will also work, but "Seam-Grip" levels better).
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
. , .
good follow up,

there are a few other threads on this issue (moisture in led clearance lights) with pics...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #6 the elements be free
2008 19' Safari
Coos Bay , Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Bambi LED.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	112569

Here (I hope) is a photo (exploded view) of the light I am replacing. Water damage is obvious.

The black base plate is supposed to be sealed to the red lens. It was not. This is the area I would recommend sealing on any replacement unit.

Also, the thread mentioned by 2air points out that water can enter the assembly thru the wire hole. Mine had a half-a** caulking job that would not have stopped anything. More "Seam-Grip" here.

Thanks to 2air's response, I now also know what that grey glob is and will hereafter expect it everywhere!