Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Mixing LED lights with standard 1157's

Gentlemen,

My 1966 Ambassador has the original lighting fixtures that contain (4) 1157 type bulbs each. I have rebuilt/replaced all of the 3 position switches and sockets and they work well. One 1157 bulb draws approx. 54 watts or 216 watts total when all (4) are energized in (1) fixture.

I, like all, am trying to curb electrical (12v) consumption. I like the brightness, color rendition and lumen output in the old 1157's, even thought they consume volumes of juice ! I don't like the color rendition or the light output of LED's compared to the 1157's.

To save some energy and have the best of both worlds, I'd like to change out (2) of the 1157 bulbs in each fixture to LED'S. I would then have (2) LED'S and (2) 1157's in each fixture when I needed more light output. This would enable me to run (2) LED's or (2) 1157's separate, or all four (2-LED's & (2) 1157's) at the same time.

Anyone done this type of configuration ! Is it feasible ? Will the (2) LED's be affected by the heat output of the (2) 1157's in the same fixture ?

Thanks,
Dan
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bell View Post
Gentlemen,

My 1966 Ambassador has the original lighting fixtures that contain (4) 1157 type bulbs each. I have rebuilt/replaced all of the 3 position switches and sockets and they work well. One 1157 bulb draws approx. 54 watts or 216 watts total when all (4) are energized in (1) fixture.

I, like all, am trying to curb electrical (12v) consumption. I like the brightness, color rendition and lumen output in the old 1157's, even thought they consume volumes of juice ! I don't like the color rendition or the light output of LED's compared to the 1157's.

To save some energy and have the best of both worlds, I'd like to change out (2) of the 1157 bulbs in each fixture to LED'S. I would then have (2) LED'S and (2) 1157's in each fixture when I needed more light output. This would enable me to run (2) LED's or (2) 1157's separate, or all four (2-LED's & (2) 1157's) at the same time.

Anyone done this type of configuration ! Is it feasible ? Will the (2) LED's be affected by the heat output of the (2) 1157's in the same fixture ?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan
There should be no problem doing this. I suggest for folks to do this all the time. For the lights that have a switch which allows for only one side to burn and flip it the other way it allows both sides to burn. On the first click (one side only) is a dry camping mode. Then let both sides burn when your hooked up shore power.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bell View Post
You can adjust the color and intensity of the light from bright-white LEDs by placing "warming gel"— these days a sheet of plastic used to change the color of theatrical lighting and camera flashbulbs (but in the old days a real gel kind of like colored Vaseline, hence the name)— in between the LED and the lens. Since LEDs don't get hot like incandescent bulbs do, the gels will not melt, though they do fade over time, but for the price they are easy and cheap to replace.

I once suggested the use of a warming gel in the color "bastard amber" (that's really its name). Check out these prior threads…
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ok-140212.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f514...ng-142102.html