Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Minuet LED light design

I decided to design and build new interior lights for the Minuet. LED was a must as we like to Boondock and want low current drain on the battery. I also wanted to salvage the original light switch as it is a four position. The light for the galley pictured here has 8 of the 6 LED light strips from Superbrights. I connected 3 on position one 5 on position two and all 8 on position three of the switch. Initial testing with 3 total didn't provide sufficient light. For the bath room I will use 4 or 6 of the light strips and 6 or 8 for the dinette light. The body is rock maple hollowed out in the back for the wires and the lens is 1/8" acrylic, this fixture used 2 of the warm and 6 of the cool white. Warm white is far too yellow and the cool is too cold. The combination works for a nice balance to my eye. I will follow up with photo after installed, but have some interior work to do first. Left hand photo is the lens side and the right photo is of the back side. Paper dust cover in place, not sure if I will worry about that in the future renditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KitLED1.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	57455   Click image for larger version

Name:	KitLED2.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	57456  

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'll look forward to the finished product.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Not that I would ask you to rip it apart but do you have any photos of the lights inplace without the lens?

Do you have a site for Superbright?

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I have also been looking for new interior lights. Did you roll the lens too, and if you did where did you find the milky colored acrylic? i have not been able to find LED fixtures that Liked.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
What size LED's did you use? I found these on ebay and was thinking of using them like you did. Just don't know how many to use... Maybe these could be used as recessed lighting in the ceiling? hmmmm

WHITE HIGH Power LED Aluminum Pod Module 1 Watt light - eBay (item 180132124603 end time Apr-14-08 13:08:04 PDT)

Nice job!
UpNorthAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are considering LED lights and want to make up your own fixtures take a look at this site. Good info.

Sample LED circuit designs.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Aerowood,

The lens is 1/2 of a 4" clear acrylic pipe. Masked off the cut area and the side against the fence and cut on a table saw. I used the same trick to frost it as the big boys use to frost the view glass on a large format camera, 220 grit sand paper. On a flat piece I will use a random orbit sander but had to do this one by hand as I wanted the frost on the inside of the lens. The acrylic pipe came from Outwater Plastic Outwater Plastics Industires. Not finding any that I liked in a ready made is what drove me to make this one. I will make more for sure but will set up jigs to make the cutting of the backer block easy. Also wanted to maximize the light output so the lens was a critical part of the project. Almost left the lens clear but my bride didn't like that.

HowieE

No problem to take the lens off. Attached is a shot of the arrangement with the lens off. Thanks for the LED design site. I purchased the LED strips already made up with resistors in place, from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ Later tonight I will photo the fixture in place with the lights on. I should have also taken a photo of the lens off. Oh well, likely won't do that now. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KitLED3.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	57466  
Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Excellent!

Very nice work, Royce!

Innovative and elegant. I like the Maple base and the lens solution is brilliant! Rim shot please.

I have found that I am unable to tolerate cool whites in either LED or fluorescents. I am very happy with the light I get from the Phillips Warm White fluorescent tubes I get for my Thinlites at Home Depot, but it does seem that they don’t last all that long in a Thinlite. It also seems like Thinlite ballasts are problematical, too. Besides, LED have way more cool factor. I may have to make an initial purchase of a few of each kind and evaluate for myself. Then maybe I’ll make myself some local knockoff of Royce designer lights.

For my curiosity, which 2 are the warm whites?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield

For my curiosity, which 2 are the warm whites?
Thank you vswingfield. There is no way to tell when they are off as near as I can see, keep the packges identified. Only when turned on then it is apparent. BTW, I noticed after install that I somehow got three of the warm strips in place not two. That will be apparent when I am able to photo with the light on later this evening after dark. I see I forgot to list the LED info. They are the LB3-cool or LB3-warm
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce
Thank you vswingfield. There is no way to tell when they are off as near as I can see, keep the packges identified. Only when turned on then it is apparent. BTW, I noticed after install that I somehow got three of the warm strips in place not two. That will be apparent when I am able to photo with the light on later this evening after dark.
I’m glad that I’m not the only one to do things like that. I guess it is still light there. It’s dusk here in Little Rock, and it is cloudy and dark. If it was clear, it would still be pretty bright.

Complements again on the nice work.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Here are a couple of shots of the lamp installed. One flash off next with flash on. Please ignore the funky yellow color of the wall paper. One of the previous owners viciously attacked the interior with a paint brush. We were able to get the paint off but it left a stain, so we will have to paint the vinyl Repainting to a light off white will be the next project.

I would say that the 8 strips of 6 LED's each are about as bright visually as the original fixture with 3 automotive lamps. I am not a lighting engineer so YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KitLED4on.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	57503   Click image for larger version

Name:	KitLED5onflash.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	57504  

Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I finally woke up enough to remember that I have a fine Zone VI modified one degree spot light meter. So back out to the Minuet. Reading reflected off the palm of hand 18” from the fixture. New fixture reading is 8, and the fixture in the Bathroom which is the same fixture as the one removed from the galley and the reading is 7.66. So they are very similar, at least in terms of what B&W film would see.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I finally woke up enough to remember that I have a fine Zone VI modified one degree spot light meter. So back out to the Minuet. Reading reflected off the palm of hand 18” from the fixture. New fixture reading is 8, and the fixture in the Bathroom which is the same fixture as the one removed from the galley and the reading is 7.66. So they are very similar, at least in terms of what B&W film would see.
Thanks for the photos. Ok, you are one of the few people I know who have a spot meter.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

A question was asked regarding the power usage. Here is what I am able to observe with limited test equipment. With volt meter attached, the old fixture would drop the battery voltage 0.5 volts and it would not recover completely when you turned off the light, the new fixture drops the voltage 0.01 volts and it recovers instantly when you turn off the light. How much better? I am sure there are better ways to measuer power consumption but this is something to go on.

Oh, as as to the spot meter. I have no excuse other than it helps in low light conditions and saves on bracketing with that pricy 4X5 film.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Oh, as as to the spot meter. I have no excuse other than it helps in low light conditions and saves on bracketing with that pricy 4X5 film.
Hi Royce,

4x5 huh? Now you are down to 1 of 2. I still have a Yashicamat 2¼x2¼ twin lens reflex. I got it at the State of Arkansas’ used equipment sales office back in the early ’90s. They had a big meat box full of them. I picked through the box and picked the best camera and the best case. I have an original leather case without a single scratch. Same for the camera. The thread in the stitching is rotten, though.

I do recall that a sort of mentor, the local studio photographer had an 11x14 camera and a 4’ diameter gas fired print drier.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
A question was asked regarding the power usage. Here is what I am able to observe with limited test equipment. With volt meter attached, the old fixture would drop the battery voltage 0.5 volts and it would not recover completely when you turned off the light, the new fixture drops the voltage 0.01 volts and it recovers instantly when you turn off the light. How much better? I am sure there are better ways to measuer power consumption but this is something to go on.

That is an incrdedible power savings! I had no idea LEDs were that much more efficient. Beautiful design. Stupid question: do they require a separate power supply or will the trailer's 12v power them OK? (I'm electrically challenged..) This is a real boondocker's dream come true..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
That is an incrdedible power savings! I had no idea LEDs were that much more efficient. Beautiful design. Stupid question: do they require a separate power supply or will the trailer's 12v power them OK? (I'm electrically challenged..) This is a real boondocker's dream come true..
Rick,

Thank you for the kind words on the fixture. Just a one for one replacement of the original 12V fixture, no special power supply, operating range is something like 10-14.5 volts. Each one of the 8 light strips consume 27mA and total is 216mA. I got that info off the Superbright web page. I was also told by someone much smarter than I that the original fixture would have consumed about 1.3amps, so that is a tremendous difference.
LB3 Dimensions (mm)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
wow, they even come with connecting plugs...even a doofus like me could probably handle making one of those! I have bookmarked both links and will try my hand at putting some of these together for future boondocking...pretty clever "frosting" of the tubes, too..amazing what that 220 grit paper can do!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Royce,

4x5 huh? Now you are down to 1 of 2. I still have a Yashicamat 2¼x2¼ twin lens reflex. I got it at the State of Arkansas’ used equipment sales office back in the early ’90s. They had a big meat box full of them. I picked through the box and picked the best camera and the best case. I have an original leather case without a single scratch. Same for the camera. The thread in the stitching is rotten, though.

I do recall that a sort of mentor, the local studio photographer had an 11x14 camera and a 4’ diameter gas fired print drier.
Vaughan,

Wow, you got a real find! I bought a Yashicamat 124G for $60 in about '87', like new, it followed me around the country and across the pond twice, I sold it for $160 back to the same dealer after heavy brassing and lots of leather scratches in '96'. Wish I could find another good one to take better care of. BTW, I still have the close up lens attachment from a Rolliflex that will fit the 124G. When I sold the camera the dealer said the closeup attachment was of no value. Go figure. My primary square shooter is a Hassey 500C so have no real use for the 124G anymore. I do have a spare Linhoff 4x5, if you know anyone interested.

4 foot print drier, hard to identify with something like that. Must have been quite a site in operation.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I actually shot some b/w FILM last friday, first film shoot in four years...had a hard time framing/focusing the 500 c/m cuz last time I used it I didn't wear glasses! I also have a linhof, don't know when I'll get around to using it again ?? The 'blad lenses are so much more "correct" and natural compared to all my Canon digital stuff, I really miss that look... one reason I got the Safari was to turn it (eventually) into a remote "studio" ala Irving Penn's "worlds in a small room" project...I want to rig up an extension to the Zip Dee and use canvas 'walls' to do location portraits...good luck shooting!