Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
I actually shot some b/w FILM last friday, first film shoot in four years...had a hard time framing/focusing the 500 c/m cuz last time I used it I didn't wear glasses! I also have a linhof, don't know when I'll get around to using it again ?? The 'blad lenses are so much more "correct" and natural compared to all my Canon digital stuff, I really miss that look... one reason I got the Safari was to turn it (eventually) into a remote "studio" ala Irving Penn's "worlds in a small room" project...I want to rig up an extension to the Zip Dee and use canvas 'walls' to do location portraits...good luck shooting!
Rick,

Sounds like a dream come true.

Also like the work on your site. Well done, you have a real talent for the portrait!
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #22
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Very nicely done. It is refreshing to see someone do something as well as you have. Bravo!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Thank you all for the kind remarks. Here is a final photo after we painted the underside of the overhead. I am working on an article based on this design to include detailed build and assembly instructions. Not sure where we will submit to but have to get the article written first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KitLED6.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	59385  
Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
From the responses, sounds like you could make some money selling these!

Nice work!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Automotive Bulbs in Original Fixture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
I finally woke up enough to remember that I have a fine Zone VI modified one degree spot light meter. So back out to the Minuet. Reading reflected off the palm of hand 18” from the fixture. New fixture reading is 8, and the fixture in the Bathroom which is the same fixture as the one removed from the galley and the reading is 7.66. So they are very similar, at least in terms of what B&W film would see.
Hi again Royce,

Was admiring your work again today and have a question. How many automotive bulbs were yielding 7.66?

Thanks,
Old 06-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #26
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
Lightbulb

Beautiful fixture you made! I've always been better at making things work, than making them nice.

It is a good idea, mixing warm and cool white. The only drawback would be, if the two hues are spatially separated like in the picture, it will result in shadows with a strange chromatic fringe. Blending the two types across the whole fixture will help prevent this, but it is difficult to do with prefab strips.

I bought some very nice 10mm discrete LEDs on ebay from a hong kong seller. They include dropping resisitors for 12v applications, but I'm going to make mine in groups of 3 LEDs in series for each dropping resistor. I figure two cool whites and one warm per group will look good. The trouble is, LEDs are so directional it is hard to blend the light. Being inside a bezeled fixture helps. Make sure all surfaces inside the fixture are painted flat white, this will help.

I don't have the URL handy, but google for "led resistor calculator" if you're designing something.

Something I'm doing in one of my other (SOB) trailers is adding a bank of red LEDs to the fixtures. This is to preserve night vision, for stargazers and hunters. On a total resto, you might consider adding at least one extra wire to each fixture, for a single on-off point for the red.

-SilverSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi again Royce,

Was admiring your work again today and have a question. How many automotive bulbs were yielding 7.66?

Thanks,

Vaughan,

That would be three of the 12V lamps with the factory diffuser in place.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage View Post

Something I'm doing in one of my other (SOB) trailers is adding a bank of red LEDs to the fixtures. This is to preserve night vision, for stargazers and hunters. On a total resto, you might consider adding at least one extra wire to each fixture, for a single on-off point for the red.

-SilverSausage
That is a great idea! Save carrying a separate red light.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Vaughan,

That would be three of the 12V lamps with the factory diffuser in place.
Thanks Royce,

The lights in the Trade Wind have four in them. Now I know what to compare to.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrSausage View Post
Beautiful fixture you made! I've always been better at making things work, than making them nice.

It is a good idea, mixing warm and cool white. The only drawback would be, if the two hues are spatially separated like in the picture, it will result in shadows with a strange chromatic fringe. Blending the two types across the whole fixture will help prevent this, but it is difficult to do with prefab strips.

-SilverSausage
Was reviewing this thread and remembered something. Our building was paid for with a grant from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, and there is a bronze bust of Mr. Reynolds near the front elevators. The pupils are recessed and the bust is lit with four small low voltage spots in two different colors resulting in blue eyes on the bronze. Subtle, but still an intelligent use of the phenomenon you are describing.