Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Marker Light Question

So my 63 Overlander doesn't have the 3 lights above the Airstream name plates. I'm not sure what the law is on if I need those, and I wouldn't know where exactly they should be placed. I like the look of using the tear drop lights for this but I'd be afraid I wouldn't position them right. I've seen other people put 3 red lights above the rear name plate and 3 amber lights above the front name plate. Do I need both sets or is the rear set the only one required? Thanks for the help.
OklaOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The Law does is not retroactive to older units. There is no standard as to height as you will note if you follow different vehicles.

Pulling the wires is not going to be an easy job. If yo do tackle it use LED fixtures to minimize the current on the circuit and get a brighter light.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaOverland View Post
So my 63 Overlander doesn't have the 3 lights above the Airstream name plates. I'm not sure what the law is on if I need those, and I wouldn't know where exactly they should be placed. I like the look of using the tear drop lights for this but I'd be afraid I wouldn't position them right. I've seen other people put 3 red lights above the rear name plate and 3 amber lights above the front name plate. Do I need both sets or is the rear set the only one required? Thanks for the help.
Trailer lights and reflectors are covered by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108. The edition of FMVSS 108 that was in effect in 1963 when the trailer was built is what your trailer has to comply with, even if requirements were made more stringent in later editions. Changes to the Federal requirements are never made retroactive.

So if your trailer wasn't made with them in '63, they're not required today, either.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
The Law does is not retroactive to older units. There is no standard as to height as you will note if you follow different vehicles.

Pulling the wires is not going to be an easy job. If yo do tackle it use LED fixtures to minimize the current on the circuit and get a brighter light.

It wouldn't be hard to wire them because I have everything apart right now. I think I want to add them because I like the look. Is there a template or measurements somewhere out there?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470610833.734552.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	268509