Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Major electrical screw up

I can't believe I am writing this..., why me!! So there I was drilling a small 1/2" hole to run a new water hook up ..minding my own business being very careful... Once I got done drilling the hole... I couldn't get the drill out... I pulled and pulled and eventually it came out... UH OH!!! there along with the drill bit was 5 foot of snarled up, wound up, small gage wire....
Hmmm... that wasn't supposed to happen... dang it.......

I don't know where it came from or where it was going to but it isn't looking good for the home team tonight...

What I do know....
No running lights anywhere .

Brakes and turn signals all work.

I pulled the covers of the upper rear running lights and ran a hot from the TT, with the TV unhooked , and all lights including running, taillights and license light all work....

So my question is how do I find where that wire came from and where it was going so I can repair it...? It is a black wire about 20 ga. and it was running , I assume vertically between the rear walls about 6" to the left of the rear hatch opening...

What a dumbie I am , I need some help with figuring this out...
BTW I didn't think until just now to check and see it any interior lights work or not, so will do that tomorrow as it's time for chores now... Thanks for any suggestions, helps, etc... in advance.
Barry bummed in Mi.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Obviously, it's the wire for the running lights. The wires are all supposed to run down one of the roof channels and come out at the rear. If you're very lucky, you might find the other end of the wire, maybe where it connects to the license plate light. You can try removing the light fixtures outside, one at a time, and maybe find it. At least then you'll know where the wire needs to end up.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Uh Oh... it's getting worse.... I just went out ran the wire again from battrey+ to one of the running lights... as before all lights working..Went inside and tried all interior switches, lights, fans and no power to any thing... Switched to 110v and all inside lights switches fans etc work on 110V. So I have no 12v power anywhere... HELP!!!
BTW the converter also doesn't seem to be working now... so battery is getting low.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
On the bright side, at least you're aware of the problem while you're still in your driveway. I nicked a wire reinstalling my interior skins and didn't realize until it shorted out in the middle of Iowa on a 700 mile day.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Did you lose all 12v power? I wish I knew how to decipher where the wire goes... No interior lights no running lights , but brake and turn lights... what does that mean? Anyone?
Ideas?
Barry
Old 10-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
I can't believe I am writing this..., why me!! So there I was drilling a small 1/2" hole to run a new water hook up ..minding my own business being very careful... Once I got done drilling the hole... I couldn't get the drill out... I pulled and pulled and eventually it came out... UH OH!!! there along with the drill bit was 5 foot of snarled up, wound up, small gage wire....
Hmmm... that wasn't supposed to happen... dang it.......

I don't know where it came from or where it was going to but it isn't looking good for the home team tonight...

What I do know....
No running lights anywhere .

Brakes and turn signals all work.

I pulled the covers of the upper rear running lights and ran a hot from the TT, with the TV unhooked , and all lights including running, taillights and license light all work....

So my question is how do I find where that wire came from and where it was going so I can repair it...? It is a black wire about 20 ga. and it was running , I assume vertically between the rear walls about 6" to the left of the rear hatch opening...

What a dumbie I am , I need some help with figuring this out...
BTW I didn't think until just now to check and see it any interior lights work or not, so will do that tomorrow as it's time for chores now... Thanks for any suggestions, helps, etc... in advance.
Barry bummed in Mi.
The black wire is for the back up lights, if your Airstream has them, since they were an option.

Andy
Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Thanks Andy for the suggestion. This is a 66 Safari, and there are no back up lights on it. Up until this blunber , everything electrical that was 12v worked, now nothing does except the brakes/turns... Any other idea(s)? Where to start? I wonder if the wire ties into a breaker opr fuse or somehow into the main 12v system because I have lost all power.
BTW in case I miss posting it the brakes and turns work when the TT &TV are hooked together. Is it worth trying to see if interior power works with them hooked together? Sorry trying to picture different senarios...
Lost in Mi.
Barry
Old 10-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Anyone have a wiring diagram or better yet a picture of a Saafri with the rear interior cap off...possibly I could see the wiring route that way...
Thanks,
Barry
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy for the suggestion. This is a 66 Safari, and there are no back up lights on it. Up until this blunber , everything electrical that was 12v worked, now nothing does except the brakes/turns... Any other idea(s)? Where to start? I wonder if the wire ties into a breaker opr fuse or somehow into the main 12v system because I have lost all power.
BTW in case I miss posting it the brakes and turns work when the TT &TV are hooked together. Is it worth trying to see if interior power works with them hooked together? Sorry trying to picture different senarios...
Lost in Mi.
Barry
There is an inspection plate underneath the front of the trailer, that's about 8" x 8" or so.

Pull that plate.

You will find that's where the 7 way cable ties into the trailer wiring.

That is a good starting point to locate the problem.

Andy
Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Anyone have a wiring diagram or better yet a picture of a Saafri with the rear interior cap off...possibly I could see the wiring route that way...
Thanks,
Barry
I sent that post too fast.

The following is what each color wire is for.

White = ground
Blue = charge line
green = clearance/tail lights
red = left turn
brown = right turn
yellow = brakes
black = backup (if used)

Andy
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it is very likely that one of the disturbed wires has shorted somewhere. check the fuse panel for a blown 12 volt fuse. if the converter was overloaded you might have a blown fuse there too.

i don't know how others have repaired wire runs that are buries but one solution might be to run a new umbilical line along the belly of the trailer in a conduit and disconnect the bad section.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Thanks,
Barry
Hi Barry, This is from a 67 but still might help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 51.jpg
Views:	2718
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	141614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream manual 49.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	141615  

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I hate to point this out, but if a PO rewired the trailer, then who knows what the wire is really for anymore. If you don't have 12 volts at all from the converter, have you checked the fuses on the converter where the battery connects to it? Or do you maybe have in-line fuses between the battery and the converter/fuse panel?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Things I know now.... Batt has 12.4 volts... all fuses look ok including the small glass fuse in the converter( original univolt) and it's ok. I am plugged into 110v at house but the uni-volt isn't humming... I did find one end of the broken black wire ,it was about 3" from where the wire was broke at the hole. I tested hoping it had voltage but it didn't so I suppose power comes up stream from there..(?) I can see down through the slot that the rear hatch lock goes , and can see that wire contining horizontally along the "C" channel towards the 12v fuse panel but I can't see where it goes totally. I haven't tested the breakers but if fuses are ok , breakers should be fine right?

Still no 12v power to interior either.

As far as the embilical cord I am not sure what I am testing or looking for.
Before this wire got broken off , everything in the trailer worked, also the TV to TT hook up worked with all lights, turns , brakes working...
Guys I am at a loss as to what to try...

Being that the wire was broken at the back of the trailer maybe I should pullthe taillight housings and license plate housing off looking for a possible broken wire?

Help!

Barry