Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Let's try this...

The fuse to the left is what I called #1 fuse it is from the battery...#2 is the center fuse=ground.
Fuse #3 to the right is from the load post of the Univolt. Can some one decipher if the breakers below are correct for each line?

Gary you mentioned testing braeker ... am I looking for continuity through the breaker?

Thanks Barry ( still in the dark in Mi.)

btw the Univolt was plugged in all day and the batt. still reads 12v.-no change. Tonight I will disconnect the batt. put a 2amp charge on it and check in the morning.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The fuse on the left (#1) needs to be checked pulled loose from the holder.

To test the breakers pull the wire from the left side and check for continuity across the breaker terminals. Should be a direct short.

I suspect they are good since everything works when plugged in and battery connected.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Fuse on the left is good ..also new, and yes I still checked it...

Marc wrote: Can you post pics of the wiring at the 12 v panel? When you did the breaker work, was this on the 120 v side or both the 12v and the 120 v? If it was the 120 only, then I don't think the panel work is the issue.
Sorry I was unclear. All cleaning I did was on the 12v panel in the pic shown. Nothing to the AC panel.

BTW I have had the batt charger hooked up to the batt for about an hour and it is already up to 12.5 volts.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
OK on the fuse. You might check the bottom breaker that comes from the #1 fuse.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Thanks Gary will do tomorrow... Now then are these breakers typical automotive breakers I can get at my friendly NAPA store?

While I am at it.. and not trying to change directions from this problem... What is a good converter to get? What amperage and how hard are they to convert from the Univolt. No matter how this wire issue plays out , I am going to can the old Univolt ASAP and want some expiernced advice if possible.
Barry
Off to search converter topics on the forum.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Check the Iota website for one that may fit your trailer. The one I have is very compact, half the size of the Parallax I had before. The 120 v. breakers should be available if that kind is still made. You may have to replace the breaker and fuse panels—not a bad idea at this point. You can get one with extra breaker and fuse spaces for future needs.

Gene
Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ok.. I'm confused... from what I can tell, there's no load from the univolt to the battery to charge it? Is that a continuous bus bar on the bottom far left? It looks like the positive battery lead goes to that bottom stud, then it branches off... is that circuit for the water pump and goucho? The Red load from the univolt goes down to the top lower left stud.. and looks like it powers the two adjacent right circuits.

I guess I'd check to see which of those lower left studs are "hot" when the univolt vs. battery are plugged in... and also see if the univolt is energizing the circuit where the battery positive lead (after the fuse) is screwed into.

What is interesting in the old circuits is that the individual 12v circuits are not fuse protected... just the loads. So you'll need to buy a (at least) 4 fuseblock. I bought a cheap 12v blade style one at the local O'Reily's when i installed my Intellipower. Check the amperage you'll need for that waterpump (possibly 30 A).. I think the rest are either 10 or 15 v circuits. The Intellipower is "plugged" into a 120 v plug. Then leads go out to the battery, and then a load to the fuseblock, with connection to the trailer 12v circuits.

Here's how I did it many years ago....http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ing-16164.html I really think your Univolt is dead (low voltage, low hum), causing your troubles.

Marc
Old 10-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Just a quick update..,.,after 24 hr w/Univolt hooked up it still read 12v. Last night I put the batt on a charger 12 hours later the at is 12.8v With my charger hooked up to the battery and running 13.5v.

Took the batt to NAPA and had it load tsted and it was all good. I went and picked up a PD 9245C converter and 3- 20 amp breakers. I won't get it done tonight but hopefully tomorrow I can get to it. Thanks again for you all, and say a prayerr for me!! I'll keep you posted and if you can think of anything else please write.
Barry
Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I replaced all three breakers on the DC panel, along with all three fuses.. With the converter still hooked up but not plugged into 120v. , I still have no 12v power except as noted earlier, the porch light the rear gaucho lights and the water pump.

Help me out here fuse #1 is from batt. and powers the two blue lines at the bottom breaker...
If I ran the 12v batt. line to fuse #3 (which is now coming from Univolt would you suppose I would get 12v.power to the other lines (through breakers 1 and 2), or would I get smoke?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The reason I am suspicious of the #1 fuse or holder the diagram shows a 12V line from the battery and one from the inverter to charge the battery. and there is another that goes to a 6amp fuse that goes to? Diagram says radio but looking at the picture it looks as a direct wire no fuse.

I would 1st jumper around fuse 1. I say this because at least twice I have seen fuse "holders" that would not pass current.

The picture also shows breaker 3 (bottom) is not connected through the 12V breaker buss bar but connected direct.

Yes you can jumper the battery to the breaker bar but breaker 3 will have to be jumped seperate at least that's the way the picture looks to me.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This all started by drilling a hole and hitting a wire? Did you remove the inside skin and repair the damaged wire? If everything worked before that incident, I'd think that repairing the damage would be the obvious fix.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Ok..
What is interesting in the old circuits is that the individual 12v circuits are not fuse protected... just the loads. So you'll need to buy a (at least) 4 fuseblock. I bought a cheap 12v blade style one at the local O'Reily's when i installed my Intellipower. Check the amperage you'll need for that waterpump (possibly 30 A).. I think the rest are either 10 or 15 v circuits. The Intellipower is "plugged" into a 120 v plug. Then leads go out to the battery, and then a load to the fuseblock, with connection to the trailer 12v circuits.

Marc
I agree Marc on a new fuseblock, I went with Blue Sea fuse block. Part number 5026 ST Blade Fuse Blocks - Blue Sea Systems. Good deal on ebay.....

Also used the 12v diagram shown below.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuseblock2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	141911   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuseboxwiringdiagram.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	141912  

Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
This all started by drilling a hole and hitting a wire? Did you remove the inside skin and repair the damaged wire? If everything worked before that incident, I'd think that repairing the damage would be the obvious fix.

First of all it has not been determined that the broken wire is the culprit. I am not sure when the electrical issue started as i hadn't used the 12v system for over a month. Some time during all that I lost my running lights, and don't know when. I do know that issue was a blown fuse in the TV. I didn't have the TV hooked up when the wire got pulled. I also disassembled the fuse panel and 'cleaned all connections a few days before the pulled wire issue... Could it be mis-wired ? I don't think so. I do know that the Univolt is not charging the batt. as it stays at 12v even after 24 hour charging.
Now a novice question what all should work if only connected to the battery? If Univolt stays connected but not used , would that prevent all those lines that should be working on 12v , to not work? I haven't a clue what is happening, but would much rather trade out a not working Univolt than to tear out the whole rear cap on the chance that I might find where the wire is broken , and worse find out that it was in fact a going no where wire that was an option for rear back up lights.
Barry
Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
If on battery power only then all 12 VDC things should work, refrigerator, all overhead lights, radio, water pump, etc. but no AC outlets or anything that runs on 120VAC.

When plugged in everything should work 12V & 120VAC the 12V runs off the converter and converter charges the battery. IF the converter has failed you would not be able to charge the battery but things should run until the battery runs down.