Old 05-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Potters , Idaho
Main light wiring

I own a 1967 Overlander and took out the main light to repair a year ago and forgot how it was wired. It has 4 pairs of wires in it, one pair from the battery, one pair to the front fan and lights, one pair to the switch on the light, and one pair to the switch by the door see attache BMP. I don't think the switches work as a 3 way because there is only 2 wires for each. Can anyone tell me how this is wired?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp light wiring.bmp (1.20 MB, 36 views)

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Here you go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp wiring.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	102815

Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The two switches are probably wired in series. In our SOB trailers over the years, there has always been a light switch by the door that turns on at least one overhead light. But the overhead lights in the trailers are all the same in that they all come with built-in light switches. So, in order for that light to work, both switches need to be on. Basically, you leave the switch on the light in the on position and use the switch by the door to control that light. Since you're re-wiring it, you could simply bypass the switch on the light if you want to, although that might confuse someone down the road. The wires from the batteries should also connect directly to the wires going to the front lights and fan (without going through one of the switches first). That way those lights and fan always have power to them. I'm assuming that the front lights and fan have their own individual built-in switches, right?

Chris
Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
I'm wondering, is this unit one where the hull is the positive and the wires are the negatives?
Dan
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Potters , Idaho
To All,
Thanks for the info, it is as I expected but wanted to check before frying something.

Dan,
All wires go back to the battery as near as I can tell. I saw refernce to a chassis ground in one post but have never found it on my CAN.