Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Columbia , Connecticut
Been there Don that univolt is no good go with progressive dynamics ,this has been a great improvement . That being said I'm now repairing 2 fuse holder for brown and blue circuits both failed ,was able to jump fuse holder to prove sys,s works ,both are for lighting and other 12 vt sys. Enjoy working on your A S

Old 06-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #16
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
When you check the fuses, if they are glass fuses, use an ohm meter. Quite often, old glass fuses will look OK, but will have separation behind the metal end caps, and therefore be open (bad).
guskmg

Old 06-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Even an ohmmeter won't work on glass fuses which have been "slow cooked". There will be a carbon track, the meter will read good. Just buy new fuses and make sure they fit tight in the holders.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I purchased and installed the PowerMax Boondocker converter from best converter.com. I selected the 45 amp size as that is more than ample for my 12v needs in the Trade Wind.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Powerma...rs-_c_154.html

This converter does have three battery charging. I have had no problems from over charging my battery and "cooking" it dry.

It was a relatively easy installation.

David
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #19

1972 29' Ambassador
Saint Charles , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I purchased and installed the PowerMax Boondocker converter from best converter.com. I selected the 45 amp size as that is more than ample for my 12v needs in the Trade Wind.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Powerma...rs-_c_154.html

This converter does have three battery charging. I have had no problems from over charging my battery and "cooking" it dry.

It was a relatively easy installation.

David
UPDATE:

Ok Leadvox and others, looks like battery drained after 1 day like you guys said. Lights worked great, even most of the instrumentation panel as well, hard to believe for a 1972!

Before i order a new converter, just wanted a heads up if i need to replace ANY of the Univox fuses to be sure? Sounds like this pos converter needs replaced so will check out the Boondocker and go from there..

Thanks
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I like spending other people's money. I wouldn't bother trying to get your old converter working kinda. The new ones are much better. Get it on order.

Take delivery, and have fun installing it. It is a project requiring some thinking. Old Airstream's wiring convention is not necessarily the way the converter instructions describe it. The heart of the 12v system is the fuse box. Both the battery and the converter come into the fuse box to feed the 12v circuits to the trailer. The circuits are protected from overloads by fuses. My 66 Trade Wind had 3 12v circuits coming out of the fuse box. Study your current wiring in and out of the fuse box. Identify the function and color of each wire and write it down as well as make a diagram. Generally red is battery plus, black is 12v circuits to the trailer, white is negative or ground.

While I'm spending your money, did you get that multi meter? This is an invaluable instrument for a vintage Airstreamer.

David