Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Lighting upgrade needed

During my many inspections of the stream I have noticed that I really dont like the original double sided square interior lights. I would like to upgrade the fixtures as well as change to LED at the same time.

I have read the sticky in the lighting forum but did not find a good replacment for this item.

Any one have any ideas?

FYI the trip to Stone Mountain is 1.5 months away and I already checking things. LOL

TIA

Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I've not seen any I really like, either, but that's prob. because I don't like the "single overhead light in the middle of the room" look I remember from the 1970s. I'm considering putting in recessed LED lights over all the work surfaces, and turning the overhead lighting into indirect LED strip lights someday.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Glendale , California
Interior lighting upgrade

Hello,
I'm new to the forum - been reading up on various lighting upgrade threads, when I came across yours. I too, am interested in replacing the original double sided square interior lights in my '93 Sov with something less bulky and then using LEDs. Did you ever find something that you liked and that worked well?

Part of my concern is if I replace the current fixture with a single, I'd lose the 3-way switch in which case it's a 'lighting all on or all off' situation, controlled by the main toggle near the door. Have I got that right? -I'm also new to AS electrical wiring...

Thanks for any ideas you may have...
Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hi Ellie....Welcome....You have one of the greatest secrets around....the 21 ' Sovereign.
The top light on mine does have that sliding switch....off/left/both. The power to that light switch is controlled by the door switch as a master. So....what ever you replace the light with will be controlled by that master. If you look around you will find a replacement fixture with that same switch choice .....I use yacht night lights for that feature, with the red light changed to another white. There are 12 volt rheostat switches available...swap out the main door switch with that...12 volt.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie828 View Post
Hello,
I'm new to the forum - been reading up on various lighting upgrade threads, when I came across yours. I too, am interested in replacing the original double sided square interior lights in my '93 Sov with something less bulky and then using LEDs. Did you ever find something that you liked and that worked well?

Part of my concern is if I replace the current fixture with a single, I'd lose the 3-way switch in which case it's a 'lighting all on or all off' situation, controlled by the main toggle near the door. Have I got that right? -I'm also new to AS electrical wiring...

Thanks for any ideas you may have...
This may not be any more to your liking, but it's a little smaller and sleeker-looking, and it offers the same 2-level control at the light fixture, plus it gets you the low power consumption of LEDs. It's the 2nd one down the page, in case you're looking at the site on a small screen, the single fixture shows up first.

RV-LED.com - Your source for all things LED for your Recreational Vehicle!

I considered them, but then ended up finding a trailer on which the PO had replaced the incandescents with 12V fluorescents. I don't get the 2-level option and they're a bit less efficient than LEDs, but they're already installed and they don't heat up the interior much, so they're LOW on the project priority list.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Glendale , California
Yes Melody- we love our new to us 21' Sovereign! We were surprised to find out that they are more rare than we realized when we bought it. Now we are slowly starting to spruce 'er up -- removing the orig carpet and upgrading the lights (mostly for less battery draw while boon-docking) are first on the list. Thanks so much for the ideas. I will look into yacht lights. Do you have a pic of yours? Also I'm assuming you use a 12V rheostat door switch to better control the draw of those lights? Wondering if I could just remove the current fixture and mount those as is? The few I've seen have an operating voltage of 9-33V. --sorry, still a newby on DC wiring
I do like the 2-level lighting option but it's not imperative.
And DKB, thanks for the link -those lights are def sleeker looking! The PO had also put in some fluorescents (so I have a combo with incand.) and really wanna make it all more uniform.
Many thanks all! I love this forum!

Tags
led, lights, retrofit