Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
flyfishrra's Avatar
 
1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 71
Images: 3
Light Switches

Hello everyone!
Alright. Since living in our 34ft since september of course issues have arised that we need to put some attention to. Nothing major just little stuff. First I have a 6in fan that I need to replace (not a problem) but I think the switch might be bad. In addition a switch on one of out overhead lights went out the other day as well.
My question is where can I get an original replacement switch? All of the switches I have seen from Inland, Vintage, among others are the the same neat switches we have in the trailer now. The fan switch is that cream color fat switch that says fan on one side and on on the other. Same as the original pump switch. Not sure if the light switch ever said anything but it doesn't now. I just wanted to get original looking switches for when they wear out. Either that or really nice looking ones that I can start replaceing all of them in the trailer! Any suggestions? Order directly from AS?

Thanks,
Matt
__________________

__________________
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrra View Post
Hello everyone!
Alright. Since living in our 34ft since september of course issues have arised that we need to put some attention to. Nothing major just little stuff. First I have a 6in fan that I need to replace (not a problem) but I think the switch might be bad. In addition a switch on one of out overhead lights went out the other day as well.
My question is where can I get an original replacement switch? All of the switches I have seen from Inland, Vintage, among others are the the same neat switches we have in the trailer now. The fan switch is that cream color fat switch that says fan on one side and on on the other. Same as the original pump switch. Not sure if the light switch ever said anything but it doesn't now. I just wanted to get original looking switches for when they wear out. Either that or really nice looking ones that I can start replaceing all of them in the trailer! Any suggestions? Order directly from AS?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt.

All of those "nice" switches have been obsolete for many years.

Also, you cannot buy anything from Airstream, unless your in Jackson Center. The sole exception is items that the store has.

That is the agreement that Airstream has with their dealers./

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,716
Andy, is your shop still authorized by Airstream for service and parts? Can you send them out?

My home dealer is, but when I ask them (who sells Airstream and every Rv under the moon) about Airstream parts they shrug their shoulders, have a blank look on their face, and tell me to bring it in (400 miles round trip).

doug k
__________________
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Andy, is your shop still authorized by Airstream for service and parts? Can you send them out?

My home dealer is, but when I ask them (who sells Airstream and every Rv under the moon) about Airstream parts they shrug their shoulders, have a blank look on their face, and tell me to bring it in (400 miles round trip).

doug k
Doug.

We have been a parts and service dealer since 1988.

We ship world wide, daily.

You can call us, if you wish.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
flyfishrra's Avatar
 
1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 71
Images: 3
Andy,

Thanks for that, but I can go to my AS dealer down the street and they can order parts yes? I know they have a giant catalog of parts I can get them to order for me. Is that not the same thing? Guessing those switches would not be available anyways based on what you said but since they are a dealer they can get stuff yes?
__________________
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrra View Post
Andy,

Thanks for that, but I can go to my AS dealer down the street and they can order parts yes? I know they have a giant catalog of parts I can get them to order for me. Is that not the same thing? Guessing those switches would not be available anyways based on what you said but since they are a dealer they can get stuff yes?
Dealers can purchase anything Airstream may have for sale.

But, they cannot get something that is now obsolete.

Also, a dealer must pay a "handling charge" to Airstream, when any order is below a minimum cost for the dealer.

However, that handling charge can be avoided if the dealer adds what a customer wants, to their stock order, that also a a high minimum.

A non parts stocking dealer, usually under the policy of Airstream, may not wish to get involved.

Many businesses today have "minimum's", as the cost of labor, and paperwork, as well as credit card costs, must be considered.

It's amazing what it costs these days for even simple small orders.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
(snip)

Many businesses today have "minimum's", as the cost of labor, and paperwork, as well as credit card costs, must be considered.

It's amazing what it costs these days for even simple small orders.

Andy
Andy, we in the AS users community appreciate the tremendous service you provide us in making parts available, even if sometimes things seem costly. The reason is what you say, It simply takes a lot of money to send out even what seems to be a small part.
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Andy, we in the AS users community appreciate the tremendous service you provide us in making parts available, even if sometimes things seem costly. The reason is what you say, It simply takes a lot of money to send out even what seems to be a small part.
Thank you for the compliment.

Yes, the good ole days are gone.

Ain't what it use to be.

My dad, back then, charged 5 cents for a cup of coffee, with cream and sugar at no extra charge. And........made money.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
flyfishrra's Avatar
 
1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 71
Images: 3
ok! I have a few more questions about light switches! I replaced one of my switches with a rocker switch I got at ace. it is a double pole double throw switch. I don't need double pole double throw but it fits perfectly into the existing location. I looked at inland and another place. Each has one switch but they are considerably smaller than the one I already have. Any ideas what to do?
I guess I could drill out the housing that is reveted to the ceiling and figure something else out but I am guessing people have replaced these white rocker switches before.
Again all of the ones I see for sale are to small to fit into the existing location. I like the new black one I purchased its just that it is for two lights and not just one so one side doesn't do anything. The other side turns the light on. Not a major issue but I would like just a single pole single throw that happened to be the same size!
__________________
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 139
Do you know what brand it is? Even if it is sold at Ace the manufacturer is generally stamped somewhere on the body of the device. Is the switch on when switched either direction or off on one end and on on the other end? I would think if you could find the manufacturer's name and then find a distributor, a SPST might be available.
__________________
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
Check Burnstines.com They have SPST rocker switches with a light. Maybe they have them without the light. I am replacing mine with the lighted ones, so I don't accidentally run my battery down.
__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Check Burnstines.com They have SPST rocker switches with a light. Maybe they have them without the light. I am replacing mine with the lighted ones, so I don't accidentally run my battery down.
Be careful with getting a lighted switch.
Some are lighted when on, not lighted when off.
Others are lighted when off, not lighted when on.
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered the Sigma A1 SPST which is lighted when the switch is on. I verified that with the Sigma web site.
__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
rogerdodger's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 685
Burnstines also has rockers without light. They appear to fit perfect if u order the correct one. Also, I think its ok to use a SPDT or DPDT in place of a SPST, just not using all of the switch.
__________________

__________________
Roger
Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.