Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
SilverHoot's Avatar

 
1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,097
Blog Entries: 3
Light switch question

I see all kinds of 12V switches for sale. They are usually toggle/ or rocker type. Will a regular household 110V light switch work for 12V switching?
__________________

__________________
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,323
Yes

Chris
__________________

__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
Some of the 50's and early 60's trailer used them in the 12 volt systems and i have used them in some added circuits
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
SilverHoot's Avatar

 
1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,097
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks Chris and Rick. I thought so. There was a switch on the ceiling as you entered my 67 that I think probably was for 12V lights. Since I tore it apart prior to checking I thought it best to be sure. Bet it is a bad idea vice-versa though.
__________________
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,423
That household-looking switch runs the light over the galley area. It's double-switched, so for the switch above the door to work, the switch at the light itself has to be on, too. It's mighty handy if you wind up coming back to the rig in the dark.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Thanks Chris and Rick. I thought so. There was a switch on the ceiling as you entered my 67 that I think probably was for 12V lights. Since I tore it apart prior to checking I thought it best to be sure. Bet it is a bad idea vice-versa though.
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
SilverHoot's Avatar

 
1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,097
Blog Entries: 3
Too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
That household-looking switch runs the light over the galley area. It's double-switched, so for the switch above the door to work, the switch at the light itself has to be on, too. It's mighty handy if you wind up coming back to the rig in the dark.

Lynn

Thanks for the info!
Too late now, mine is now wired to turn on the ceiling lights...when I get them
__________________
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
The switch in my 61 located in the ceiling slightly to the right of the door is for the main ceiling 120 volt lite.

Possibly by 67 they had gone to all 12 volt lights.
__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,423
Yep, you're right. There are no high-voltage lights in the 67. The only things run by the 110v. system are the converter, the AC, the 110v. outlets, and the fridge (if switched to that setting).

Lynn


Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
The switch in my 61 located in the ceiling slightly to the right of the door is for the main ceiling 120 volt lite.

Possibly by 67 they had gone to all 12 volt lights.
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #9
Moderator
 
HiHoAgRV's Avatar

 
1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,325
Images: 29
Blog Entries: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I see all kinds of 12V switches for sale. They are usually toggle/ or rocker type. Will a regular household 110V light switch work for 12V switching?
I spent a few years designing switches and can confirm the 110v switches, although they will usually work, will fail sooner than they are supposed to when used on 12v...be prepared to only get, say 5,000 cycles instread of, say, 10,000

My '63 has the same switches for 12V as the 110V lighting...
__________________
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...num-54749.html
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Minno's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Bet it is a bad idea vice-versa though.
If you mean using a 12 volt switch for a 110 VAC circuit, it depends on the switch. In general, you're right. But there are some switches out there sold as 12 VDC switches, that if you read the specs, are rated to switch 110 VAC circuits as well.

Chris
__________________
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
RickDavis's Avatar

 
1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I spent a few years designing switches and can confirm the 110v switches, although they will usually work, will fail sooner than they are supposed to when used on 12v...be prepared to only get, say 5,000 cycles instread of, say, 10,000

..
I hate it when a switch fails after only 5000 cycles
__________________

__________________
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overhead Light Switch "HI-LIGHT-LO" motilley Lights - Interior & Exterior 14 08-23-2017 07:11 AM
Interior Light Question gaylejoe Lights - Interior & Exterior 3 05-21-2011 11:15 PM
Master switch / Storage question polarlyse Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers 1 05-16-2011 06:26 PM
Master Switch question polarlyse Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 0 05-13-2011 09:17 AM
2006 Safari Interior light switch Goal15 Lights - Interior & Exterior 7 05-03-2011 02:36 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.