Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
Bottom line think, "They don't see me, they don't see me, they don't see me."
In my experience, it's because they weren't looking, something that no light will fix. I've been rear-ended twice (neither one as serious as yours - both were low speed impacts), and both times it was pretty clearly a case of doing something else while they were supposed to be driving, while I sat still with my foot on the brakes and the brake lights on... at a red light, in an urban area. Inexcusable.

1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Skatiero, excellent idea about leaving the running lights on all night in camp grounds. Just today I got in some LED running lights in aluminum housings which I think will fit inside the step light cover for outside night light.

Skater, yes I have been rear ended three other times before the "big one" that got me which gave me a sore neck for a few days but comparision wise the pain from them was about 5% of what this one caused. I have read low speed impacts make up 80% of rear endings. My shoulder is still shutting me down (if I am not careful) 7 months later and the healing is very slow which they told me would be.

Since the "big one" with me we have been rear ended two more times (both times in the same parking lot) but since then we are a little more prepared. I had seen shock absorbing trailer hitch advertisement before and did some research and they also have something called a and I got one and it stays in the Durango receiver hitch unless I have a utility trailer hooked to it.

I applied neon green 3M reflective to it. Both the most recent impacts have not had the sudden impact but more of a push. Was thinking of getting another for the 2500HD but ran up on a heavy duty extended pintle hook at flea market that a excellent welder had assembled to pull farm wagons.

I have had several situations where I needed a place to hook a tow strap/log chain to in order to pull folks out of ditches and a pintle hook is idea for such. We have situations where we need to stabilize a vehicle and it is quicker and easier to utilize a POV rather than reposition a pumper as a tie off point if the weight of the pumper is not needed.

It is also least long enough to get through radiator, coolers etc before they get to the truck.

I agree most rear ends are not paying attention. Lady that tagged me (I think) was turned around talking to grand younguns in back seat. I have seen a number of women drivers turned all the way around looking at folks while talking to them while driving.

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote