Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
license plate light gasket

I didn't see this anywhere: the license plate light on our 76 Argosy has a rubber cover or gasket on the back of it, is that an item that is available or should we be salvage hunting for one? The one on ours is cracked and the rubber is hard and needs to be replaced. Or can I get a whole new light? The chrome on this one is pretty rusted.

Thanks, Sandy
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Check with the vendors that you see on this site. They will have the part for you. Probably best to get a new light and gasket combination.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora
I didn't see this anywhere: the license plate light on our 76 Argosy has a rubber cover or gasket on the back of it, is that an item that is available or should we be salvage hunting for one? The one on ours is cracked and the rubber is hard and needs to be replaced. Or can I get a whole new light? The chrome on this one is pretty rusted.

Thanks, Sandy
Make one from an old inner tube, or from a small piece of sheet cork, that you can get at auto parts stores.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
There are companies around that will re-chrome things as well. I'm looking at doing that with the original intake/exhaust for the heater.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I ordered a new one from Inland RV and with a little work it fit up just like the old one. As I recall I had to take the spacers off or maybe just cut them down to get the gasket to fit up tight. Also sealed around the wires when I put the new one on just to be sure. Mine was rusted where the license plate attached and looked pretty rough.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I used the gasket from the old light between the trailer and bracket for the new light (VTS carries). It keeps the plate from rubbing the aluminum as much and makes it easier to get to change the plate. Here's what it looks like with the part# from the new one. Just an idea I thought might help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari Progress 030.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	58364  
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
The old gasket on mine was hard and one of the reasons I ordered the entire new part. Here is how it looked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00735.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	58365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00744.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	58366  

Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hi Isadora,

I recently replaces the license plate light and frame holder on my 1968 Tradewind. I bought mine from Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!

The light, frame and gasket cost 21.95 and it fit perfectly. I looked and they have the light, frame, and gasket for your year model of Airstream.

Vintagetrailersupply.com has some of the best customer service you will find and I know from experience.

This summer I bought my wife a vintage awning from Vintagetrailersupply for her birthday.... and I mis-measured. I mis-measured by a lot. It was 100% my fault, the awning did not fit and never would and I was sick over my mistake.

I just knew I had made a multi-hundred dollar error and I was prepared to take my medicine. I asked the Vintagetrailersupply.com folks if they could have the factory re-cut my awning down to fit, I would pay the costs for everything plus shipping.

Instead, they cheerfully took my wrong-sized awning back at full costs and then re-ordered and shipped me the new correct size awning.

Geeze Louise, I wa so happy, that is costomer service.

I've since bought hundreds of dollars of supplies from them and have always been happy.

If you need anything for a vintage Airstream, WWW.Vintagetrailersupply.com would be worth your time checking out.

They are a great group of folks to trade with.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Thanks so much all of you for your information, I will have to get my whole list together and just order once and get all the little stuff I need. That is exactly the light I need, I will just order the whole thing and be done with it.Thanks again, Sandy
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote